Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built up a set of Dura ace 32h (used) to DT revolution 1.5 - 1.8mm spokes to Wolber tubular rims for really cheap. Less than $250 CDN for the lot. Should do me fine for upcoming season. but now i am getting greedy and want another set of CX tubbie wheels, preferably higher profile rim for mud shedding, but still dont want to spend a ton of $$.

Gotta be 9 speed and not too heavy, happy to hunt around for right combo.
Weigh 145lbs and am not too hard on kit, except when landing after I bunny hop 16" barriers!! com'on its fun.

Suggestions appreciated

Dreww

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Velocity Escape

dreww said:
Just built up a set of Dura ace 32h (used) to DT revolution 1.5 - 1.8mm spokes to Wolber tubular rims for really cheap. Less than $250 CDN for the lot. Should do me fine for upcoming season. but now i am getting greedy and want another set of CX tubbie wheels, preferably higher profile rim for mud shedding, but still dont want to spend a ton of $$.

Gotta be 9 speed and not too heavy, happy to hunt around for right combo.
Weigh 145lbs and am not too hard on kit, except when landing after I bunny hop 16" barriers!! com'on its fun.

Suggestions appreciated

Dreww
I have a pair of Velocity Escape rims that I built onto XTR hubs that I love. Think Aerohead without the clincher part... After that, Sun makes some semi-aero rims, as did Assos, Campy, Trek (Matrix), and even Mavic (Mach2CD2). I have a Mach2CD2 rim. Bulletproof, but not especially light...

OR you can Zipp-ify your cross if you've got enough $$... I don't take it seriously enough to go that route, but I know of guys that do.

Mike

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Rigida SHC 500 is semi aero and can be had for about 40 USD a pair (ebay) they tend to squeal (no machine on brake surface but are light and strong. Agree w/ MShaw about the velocity's as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another cool thing about the Velocity Escapes.

They come in 24, 28, and 32 hole. Sometimes you can find some good deals on 28 hole rear hubs. At 145 you should be able to pull that off. I'd stay away from the Revos though. Maybe some Competitions cross 2 both sides.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
www-mtnpedaler-com said:
I'd stay away from the Revos though. Maybe some Competitions cross 2 both sides.
Why do yo say that, I have revos on MTB wheels and no probs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nothing wrong with Revos.

I'm assuming your mtn. wheels are 32 spoke? A 28 spoked Revo rear wheel is going to be flexy even at your weight. Comps on the drive side and Revs on the non would be ok. But Revs both sides, no. Actually I never use Revs on the drive side of anything. Only front and non-drive rear. I don't use Revs at all on disc wheels.

The guy in my avatar is using a Revo spoked wheels (Comps on the drive side). He used to be Nor Cal cross champ and he likes to air it out. If he landed wrong or hit something laterally I might have to true up the rear. Some of this was because we use Mavic Reflex rims and they are a little soft.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
www-mtnpedaler-com said:
I'm assuming your mtn. wheels are 32 spoke? A 28 spoked Revo rear wheel is going to be flexy even at your weight. Comps on the drive side and Revs on the non would be ok. But Revs both sides, no. Actually I never use Revs on the drive side of anything. Only front and non-drive rear. I don't use Revs at all on disc wheels.

The guy in my avatar is using a Revo spoked wheels (Comps on the drive side). He used to be Nor Cal cross champ and he likes to air it out. If he landed wrong or hit something laterally I might have to true up the rear. Some of this was because we use Mavic Reflex rims and they are a little soft.
My first post stated that I just built 32 spoke wheels. Never had a problem even with 28 spoke wheels for cross.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually

You said your rear tubular was a 32 hole. You never stated how many holes your MTB wheels were.

If you haven't had any problems with Revs in the past then you probably won't have any in the future. A lot of it is rider. Some riders just carry a smoother line. Those are the riders that can use really light wheels without problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts