Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering new wheels for myself, i'm 170 and these will be used all around on my daily 30+ flats and weekly steep climbs. Currently have ksyrium sl's and debating between the h plus son archetype or pacenti sl23 for the rim with 20/28 cx-rays and perhaps another type of spoke for drive side? Hubs: alchemy elf/orc-ul or WI T11

I want the look of the archetypes really bad but the pacenti offers a slightly wider profile, tubeless ability and slight weight savings, but the archetypes just look better. Concerning hubs the alchemy seems to be a great offering in strength and weight at a steep price while the WI T11's have great value. Looking to build these wheels completely black for campy 10/11.

While minor weight savings make little no difference in reality, they still do in my mind and I would like them to be as low as possible. Pacenti's with alchemy seem like the best option in that regard, but maybe not for the price. Perhaps I would be just as happy with the whites. Around $700 sounds so much better than $900+ but then again these will last me a long time. And finally, other options such as used factory builds in my price range on ebay or likewise like the ardennes sl or even new plus are interesting, and of course anything at all you could recommend.

Thank You

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
I think this is a toss up. The wide flange spacing of the Alchemys is nice, but since your not a super heavy rider it really isn't totally necessary. I think the T11s are a great option most of the time. Many on here will bash on them for their flange spacing but in the real world they are sufficiently rigid.
With regards to the rims, I think the SL23 blows the Archetype out of the water. It's wider, deeper, and still lighter. IMO the SL23 is the best alloy clincher on the market easily.
Regarding spokes I think Cxrays all around would be just fine. You could always go with Lasers if you wanted to save a few bucks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.