Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2011 or so Trek 1.1. Been getting the bug to go to a carbon synapse, defy advanced or similar. In all cases the higher up the chain you go (tiagra-105-ultegra) the less spokes the included wheelsets have.

And when you read about the bikes in question invariably there are comments 'wheels suck, upgrade those'.

So i'm thinking I should buy a wheelset now to throw on the Trek and then use with whatever bike I might purchase (say next year or so).

What does the group say on this? I see lots of mentions of prowheelbuilder.com and it looks like a build with DT Swiss R511 rims would be recommended and with 105 hubs not terribly expensive.

OR there is the nashbar vuelta corsa HD set for less than $200 Vuelta Corsa HD Road Wheelset

Would either of these give significant improvement over my stock trek 1.1 wheelset?

Thanks for the input.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,662 Posts
I would not recommend a carbon bike for someone over 250lbs. Many road bikes have that as a weight limit.

At your weight, I agree with Steelbikerider that 36 spoke wheels with double butted 14/15/14 spokes are the way to go. Rather than Ultegra, I would recommend touring hubs like the Shimano Deore LX and touring rims like the DT Swiss TK540:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...h-700c-black?gclid=CNynvbC3gs4CFUJZhgodRksGiw

Edit: I just remembered that Deore LX hubs are 135mm. Unfortunately road bikes are 130mm between the stays. Ultegras will work, but be sure they are laced 3-cross or 4-cross. Otherwise, you are putting tremendous stresses on the hub flanges. Don't even THINK about radial lacing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Velocity Wheels built by their "Velocity Wheel Department" have been trouble-free for three years.
Contact the Wheel Department and they will steer you to a custom wheel for your application.
RC

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Just make sure any carbon bike you buy has clearance for 28mm wide tries (no matter what width tires come on the bike). A big boy like you needs lots of tire volume - and lots of spokes and (at least) a 500g rim.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Just make sure any carbon bike you buy has clearance for 28mm wide tries (no matter what width tires come on the bike). A big boy like you needs lots of tire volume - and lots of spokes and (at least) a 500g rim.
I'd actually look for more clearance if possible. I weigh 145 and feel I benefit from 28's for non races on the crappy roads around here. I'd definitely want the ability to go bigger is I was carrying another 125.

Regarding getting wheels for your 2011 Trek to be used on a new bike in the future: Keep in mind your Trek is probably 10 speed and any new bike you get will be 11. White Industry 11 speed hubs are sold with a spacer to allow for 10 speed so they are a good option to deal with this. I assume there are plenty of other choices to deal with it easy like that but not sure. If you go the custom route and choose White their mountain bike hubs MI5 would be a good choice for you. The rear comes stock 135mm spacing but they'll make it 130mm upon request. I understand WI hubs may be out of your budget but just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only change I've made to the bike so far is 25mm GP4000's. Crazy difference that cost me zero mph and makes the bike much more pleasant to ride.

The 1.1 I have is bottom of the barrel shimano 8 spd. If I get a new bike in the near future it would be either the new 10spd tiagra or 11spd 105. i'd be willing to drop $400 or so on a wheelset for the trek now if it will be able to work with whatever my next bike may be.

So two questions at this point:

1-Does the Vuelta Corsa HD roll noticeably better than my stock trek 1.1 wheels?

2-Would a 32/36 DT Swiss R511 on 105 hubs wheelset be the bees knees for a guy like me and be transferable to a future bike?

Thanks for all the insight guys.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am 220lbs, somewhat muscular @ six feet tall.

I acquired a new bike last year and put on Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels - taken off a new bike - which I got a deal on through Craigslist. The 3's are a relatively light weight wheelset - 16/21spokes, 25mm rim height - but wow have they performed. I'm not saying the overbuilt wheel thing is bunk. I have had hand built wheels in the past, but I put a ton of miles on my Fulcrum's...mashing, spinning, grinding from way behind the BB, jumping small curbs, hitting the occasional east coast pothole... they are bulletproof. I guess all it takes is one good experience because I would consider a Fulcrum product for my next set of wheels.

I'm selling a bike which came with Fulcrum racing Quattro and thinking about selling the bike sans wheels and keeping those as winter wheels.

270 is quite a bit more and you may require 24/28 spoke wheels with deeper sturdier rims, but just wanted to use this thread to share my very positive experience with a factory build wheel that on paper is under-built for my weight and riding style. Hand built guys, don't flame me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.