Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has Shimano RS-10s on her bike and we've been discussing up grading them, with a $700 budget what would you recomend? BTW she is a 120 lbist rider.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
marknelson said:
My wife has Shimano RS-10s on her bike and we've been discussing up grading them, with a $700 budget what would you recomend? BTW she is a 120 lbist rider.
What kind of riding? What does she want them for?

·
9,790 Posts
Come up with $300 more and I can make you the deal of the year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike T. said:
What kind of riding? What does she want them for?
Just group rides, 10 to 70 miles, no racing.

What does she want them for... her RS-10 are 1800+ grams and we're hoping something lighter would hlep increase her speed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Be aware that there will be little speed improvement with new wheels.

A wheelset with lightweight rims such as Kinlin XR-200 is something to consider. You can get them with really nice hubs in your pricerange.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
marknelson said:
Just group rides, 10 to 70 miles, no racing.
What does she want them for... her RS-10 are 1800+ grams and we're hoping something lighter would hlep increase her speed.
I went from 1762 gram wheels (OpenPro, DuraAce hubs) to 1410 gram wheels (BWW Blackset Race at $330) for a 352gram or 12.4 oz weight loss. That is a lot of weight to lose and I could feel the difference in snappy handling and out of saddle acceleration. But as poster Valleycyclist says, really there is no difference in true speed. I'm about the same over 30 - 64 mile hard rides as I was last year. Losing a pound off the wheels is the same as losing a pound off the bike in general - a worthy goal but don't have unrealistic expectations.

But nice wheels are nice wheels. The Kinlin XR200 rims would be great for her weight as would the BWW Blackset Race. Just watch out for the hype on flash, trick wheels with fancy decals. Usually they're overweight and overpriced. She deserves light wheels, just make sure whatever you get are truly light.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
I agree with Valley. XR200s with a White Industries setup would be great for your wife. You could shave a ton of weight with that build as well seeing as it comes in at roughly 1250 grams.
Not sure how you get to 1250g, assuming 20F/24R CxRay spokes I get 1360g.

I just built a similar wheelset except with Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear.
Its closer to 1500g. Difference in speed is going to be very little if any but mostly would be noticeable on climbs.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
PlatyPius said:
Come up with $300 more and I can make you the deal of the year.
$1K for someone who rides max 70 mile group rides. Ouch. Even the sub-1400g Shimano carbon/al clinchers are available for $700. At her weight though it'd be very easy to spend that amount or less and be good to go.

·
9,790 Posts
been200mph said:
$1K for someone who rides max 70 mile group rides. Ouch. Even the sub-1400g Shimano carbon/al clinchers are available for $700. At her weight though it'd be very easy to spend that amount or less and be good to go.
Drunken posting.

The wheelset in question though is a new Zipp 202/404 combo set.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
jnbrown said:

I just built a similar wheelset except with Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear.
Its closer to 1500g. Difference in speed is going to be very little if any but mostly would be noticeable on climbs.
Sorry my mistake. You are correct. Instead of 5 grams for spoke weight I was thinking of the price :blush2:

·
Registered
891 Posts
1360 grams is about right. I calculate 1330 grams for a 20/24 wheelset with White Industries hubs. Dura Ace hubs are really nice too, but then you would need 24/24 or 24/28. The weight would go up slightly for the hubs and also a little for the extra spokes.

jnbrown said:

·
Registered
86 Posts
If nothing else, it's just nicer lifting up a light bike.

If that gives you a psychological boost too... great!

(Just don't read these posts that say there are no speed gains) :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so I know next to nothing about wheelsets.... I admit the price is right but I've never heard of them, is the Blackset Race Ten Wheel Set worth the $330.00?? Also is the CX-Ray spokes worth the $145 upgrade?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
marknelson said:
Okay, so I know next to nothing about wheelsets.... I admit the price is right but I've never heard of them, is the Blackset Race Ten Wheel Set worth the $330.00??
Wheels are my passion. Not $1000+ wheels as they would be wasted on me, but sensible "for the average rider" wheels. As far as I'm concerned the BWW Blackset race, for the price and weight, is the best deal going right now. If anyone knows a better deal then post it up but it had better have a true weight of under 1450grams and better than $330. I'm not saying they are the best wheels as some of the handbuilt customs use name brand hubs (White Industries, Shimano DuraAce, DT240 etc) which are "better" hubs that the BWW house-brand hubs. Usually those wheelsets run $500 - $1000. I have a set here that I'm testing. More on those in the weeks to come.

My BWW Blackset Race have been stellar.

Also is the CX-Ray spokes worth the $145 upgrade?
I have 'em on my BWW Race wheels (plus on a few other home-built sets I have here) and if you're judging cost vs performance then the answer has got to be an absolute no. Normal spokes (Sapim Race, DT Comps) are perfectly fine and you won't be able to tell what spokes are in your wheels. The CX-Ray are lighter (same weight as DT Revs and Sapim Lazer) and aero (flattened). But I'll bet you can't feel or even measure their extra benefits. That being said, I'd choose them again. It's no different than buying a titanium widget for the bike (like the stem & seatpost on my mountain bike) - you dump piles of money and don't go any faster. Anyone with a $1000+ bike had better not call me a fool or they'll be hypocrites.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
I agree with Valley. XR200s with a White Industries setup would be great for your wife. You could shave a ton of weight with that build as well seeing as it comes in at roughly 1250 grams.
You mean 1350g...

You could get under 1300g and $700 comfortably with C-4 hubs, but the WIs are solid and pretty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts