Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pinarello Gavia TSX equpped with 8 speed Campy Chorus Ergo and I wonder what I would do if I had a problem with my wheelset. These are Chorus hubs laced to Sun Assault rims. My freehub is actually 9 speed and I space Veloce 9 speed individual cog cassettes for 8sp.

If I start looking for a backup wheelset are there any out there with rear hubs that can be fitted with 9 speed Campagnolo compatible freehubs? I've still got a couple of 9 speed cog sets stored away.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,881 Posts
Mavic, Campag, Fulcrum, DT Swiss.
All do 9-12 speed compatible wheels. IIRC for Mavic and DT Swiss you buy the freehub separately. They come standard with Shimano 11s freehubs.
That said this bike deserves some pretty polished hubs laced with 32 og 36 spokes to some nice old Mavics or Ambrosio rims.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I have a Pinarello Gavia TSX equpped with 8 speed Campy Chorus Ergo and I wonder what I would do if I had a problem with my wheelset. These are Chorus hubs laced to Sun Assault rims. My freehub is actually 9 speed and I space Veloce 9 speed individual cog cassettes for 8sp.

If I start looking for a backup wheelset are there any out there with rear hubs that can be fitted with 9 speed Campagnolo compatible freehubs? I've still got a couple of 9 speed cog sets stored away.
As was stated, current Campy freehubs work with 9 speed and up. I am not sure if Campy still even makes silver hubs if you want to stay traditional. I believe that Miche still makes silver Campy compatible hubs and you certainly can find silver Campy hubs on ebay.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking more of a reasonable set of pre-built wheels, Fulcrum, Ritchey, DT-Swiss, Vittoria, to use as a backup wheelset with this rig. Otherwise, the Chorus wheelset I have with 15g, 3x is great and I love the Sun Assault rims that I can no longer get. I built these as laceovers from MA3s.

Guess I wonder which pre-built wheelset will come with a freehub that can accept my 9 speed Veloce Exadrive loose cog cassettes.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I was thinking more of a reasonable set of pre-built wheels, Fulcrum, Ritchey, DT-Swiss, Vittoria, to use as a backup wheelset with this rig. Otherwise, the Chorus wheelset I have with 15g, 3x is great and I love the Sun Assault rims that I can no longer get. I built these as laceovers from MA3s.

Guess I wonder which pre-built wheelset will come with a freehub that can accept my 9 speed Veloce Exadrive loose cog cassettes.

Thanks all.
I am using a Campy Zonda wheelset on one bike and I like it. Not super light but quite durable. My belief is that as long as the freehub uses the Campy spline pattern, using loose Veloce cassette cogs should be fine. I ran a Campy 9-speed cassette on a PowerTap hub for a while with no issues

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Dave. I'm thinking I've just got to test out my cogs' spline pattern. I do know the Campy Veloce 9s cogs have a different spline pattern than my Campy Exadrive 8s had.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Thanks, Dave. I'm thinking I've just got to test out my cogs' spline pattern. I do know the Campy Veloce 9s cogs have a different spline pattern than my Campy Exadrive 8s had.
There is some info on the web about it but Campy did change the spine pattern slightly when progressing from 9 to 12 speed but they were designed to be backwards compatible. 8 speed is a completely different animal.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is some info on the web about it but Campy did change the spine pattern slightly when progressing from 9 to 12 speed but they were designed to be backwards compatible. 8 speed is a completely different animal.
I have noticed that the Campy wheelsets, including your Zonda are being sold described as 10, 11, 12 cassette compatible?

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I have noticed that the Campy wheelsets, including your Zonda are being sold described as 10, 11, 12 cassette compatible?
I suspect that is because 9-speed is no longer being made. All's I can say that up until recently I had bikes with Campy 9, 10, 11 at the same time and was able to switch wheels. I have a PowerTap wheel with Campy splines that was used on both my 9-speed bike with and now an 11-speed bike

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I am really going to have to try a cog to know for sure. When I search for Campagnolo 9 speed, my spline pattern shows up described as "Old 9 speed Campagnolo Exa-Drive standard.
Wide ridge at 5 o’clock and a stepped ridge at 7 o’clock." The photo agrees with my cogs. It's entirely possible that my "Old 9 speed Campagnolo Exa-Drive standard." will still fit on the "Current Campagnolo standard – suitable for all the modern Ultra-Drive cassettes, whether they are 9, 10, or 11 speed (12 speed as well from 2018)." That would mean the newer freehub would have to handle the "stepped ridge" that my cogs have.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I guess I am really going to have to try a cog to know for sure. When I search for Campagnolo 9 speed, my spline pattern shows up described as "Old 9 speed Campagnolo Exa-Drive standard.
Wide ridge at 5 o’clock and a stepped ridge at 7 o’clock." The photo agrees with my cogs. It's entirely possible that my "Old 9 speed Campagnolo Exa-Drive standard." will still fit on the "Current Campagnolo standard – suitable for all the modern Ultra-Drive cassettes, whether they are 9, 10, or 11 speed (12 speed as well from 2018)." That would mean the newer freehub would have to handle the "stepped ridge" that my cogs have.
I am confused what you mean. If you buy a new Campy compatible wheel and put on a recent 9-speed loose cassette it doesn't matter what your old wheel had

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I probably wasn't clear or did not give enough details. I have a couple of NOS Campagnolo Exadrive 9 speed loose cog cassettes that I would want to use, and these definitely have differently shaped tabs and troughs than the current Campy standard.

Having said that Campy does not make a disclaimer with their wheelsets stating that these early version 9 speed cassettes cannot be used.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I probably wasn't clear or did not give enough details. I have a couple of NOS Campagnolo Exadrive 9 speed loose cog cassettes that I would want to use, and these definitely have differently shaped tabs and troughs than the current Campy standard.

Having said that Campy does not make a disclaimer with their wheelsets stating that these early version 9 speed cassettes cannot be used.
Not sure if this will work with the re-spacing but new 9 speed cassettes can still be found for $40 or so

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have decided I want to go after the Zondas that you have Dave. I am still riding this bicycle hard in training races (and not so much my carbon bicycle) so I am not as concerned about staying vintage as I am with their performance. And I will still have the silver Chorus wheelset for vintage sakes. The Zondas seem to be a lot like the Fulcrum Racing 5s that I have on a carbon Bianchi, so I think I will be familiar with working on them.

Trying to figure out how ordering from overseas works as they are about $260 less there. Not sure if there is a duty that needs to be paid.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I have decided I want to go after the Zondas that you have Dave. I am still riding this bicycle hard in training races (and not so much my carbon bicycle) so I am not as concerned about staying vintage as I am with their performance. And I will still have the silver Chorus wheelset for vintage sakes. The Zondas seem to be a lot like the Fulcrum Racing 5s that I have on a carbon Bianchi, so I think I will be familiar with working on them.

Trying to figure out how ordering from overseas works as they are about $260 less there. Not sure if there is a duty that needs to be paid.
I order all my Campy stuff from the UK. I have yet to get hit with a duty charge but its always possible. I have had good results with Merlin and if you order from the US that will automatically show prices in dollars

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know if there is a calculator that will tell you what the duty tax will be on an item? I guess there are ancillary charges that may also be passed along?

Just trying to anticipate what additional charges I could incur if I order from offshore. ProBikeKit sells the Zondas for $390 and nobody domestic has them for less than $500+.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts