Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the best wheelset for me. I'm 6'3", 210lbs, looking for an all around wheelset to go on my upcoming Strong titanium bike.

I'm thinking Chris King R45 hubs. Are the CK Classic hubs stronger for someone my size?

For rims I'm thinking DT Swiss 465 or 585. Thoughts?

Should I do 28F, 32R or 32/32?

What spokes and lacing pattern would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
At your size I would go with the Chris King Classic Cross hubs. Suppose to be a bit beefier version of the regualr classic hubs. Stronger etc. I would go 32/32. For rims, check out the Velocity Deep Vs. Supposed to be great for heavier riders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not an expert here, but after talking extensively with a wheelbuilder, we went with DT 585's, 32/32 and Shimano hubs with 3x lacing and Wheelsmith DB-14 spokes. I'm 235lbs and haven't had any problems with them at all.

Love the way they look, and riding with confidence on rough roads/downhills is a nice feeling.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Either the RR465 or RR585 will be okay. As previously mentioned, the Deep-V is also an option. A lighter weight 30mm rim is the Kinlin XR-300 which weighs 465 grams and will also work well for your weight. Did you consider Shimano hubs? White Industries hubs are also good for heavier riders.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
At your weight, which is not that heavy, you can also look at Velocity Aerohead and Fusion rims, Mavic Open Pros should also be fine. Ultegra hubs are worth a look.
This is based on my use of these rims, I'm 260#.
This topic has been covered here many times, if you do a search you will find a lot of info.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You told us your size, but not riding habits or conditions. Your not a heavy rider so I'd guess you could get away with most anything in normal riding conditions.

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
I have build several sets that I have ridden from 260# down to 180 #s. My favorite set is my original build. DT swiss 240s with the labels removed, kinlin XR270 in the rear, Velocity Aerohead up front, dt comp black spokes, and alloy dt black nipples laced to very high tension. I have done everything with these wheels and they've never gone out of true and tip the scales just shy of 1600g.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I run Kinlin XR-300's, 32r/28f with CK Classic Hubs. Rear wheel is laced 3x on both sides and 2x up front. Many people on here gave great advice when I was searching. I'm 235.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I've searched the previous similar threads and read the similar replies. I'm still not certain if the CK R45 hubs are as strong as the classic hubs. Maybe I'll call CK to see what they say. I'm also not sure if I should go with the DT 465 or 585 rims if I was set on one of those two. I'll have to read a bit more about some of the other recommended rims and hubs. Oh yeah, when I say a do all wheelset I mean this will be the only wheelset I own that will see some commuting, a lot of short fast rides, a few 50-100 miles rides and an occasional long race. I'm mainly a mtn biker and looking to switch over to mainly road due primarily to schedule and convenience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tip the scale right at 300 lbs and have about 350 miles on my Fulcrum Racing 5's without any issues. The roads I ride are not smooth by any means also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
fitnessgeek said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've searched the previous similar threads and read the similar replies. I'm still not certain if the CK R45 hubs are as strong as the classic hubs. Maybe I'll call CK to see what they say. I'm also not sure if I should go with the DT 465 or 585 rims if I was set on one of those two. I'll have to read a bit more about some of the other recommended rims and hubs. Oh yeah, when I say a do all wheelset I mean this will be the only wheelset I own that will see some commuting, a lot of short fast rides, a few 50-100 miles rides and an occasional long race. I'm mainly a mtn biker and looking to switch over to mainly road due primarily to schedule and convenience.

I went with the RR585 because I wanted the most "bombproof" wheels, and I liked the looks of them, but the 465 with fewer spokes up front will be my next choice.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You're around my size. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs. Contrary to what a lot of people think, we still are Clydesdales. I've done the walk of shame many times from busted spokes and/ or hubs many times.All of that ended when I bought my first set of Velocity Deep Vs. Now I have a pair Velocity Deep Vs with Ultegra hubs built by Wheelbuilder.com for one of my Felt and Deep Vs from Velocity with Velocity hubs on my Specialized Allez. Before anyone says anything, Velocity does sell wheelsets. They are considered pre-built but Velocity doesn't builds them until after you order them. On the inside of my Velocity built wheels is a sticker with the build date and initials of the builder- which was two days before I received them. Both sets have been bulletproof in the time that I've owned them.I have 6,200 miles on one set and a little over 9,000 miles on the other. I haven't even had to true either wheelset. On the downside, the Deep Vs are a bit heavy. I'm not sure about Velocity's Spartacus wheels- which are deemed their racing wheel. I would assume that those are light but the use Deep V rims. Anyway, Mavic Open Pros are another alternative but I've heard to many stories about cracks around the eyelets on those. If you decide that you want Mavic, I'd recommend the CXP series (preferrably the CXP33). DTs seem to be the edge out Velocity Deep V's in overall craftsmanship but they cost a mint in comparison. To me, the extra money didn't justify having the claimed more attractive welds. regardless of which you choose, go with a 32 spoke, (3x spoke pattern in the rear preferred but not necessary at your size), and you're good to go. Want indestructible? Go 36 spoke and never look back.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
afm223 said:
I tip the scale right at 300 lbs and have about 350 miles on my Fulcrum Racing 5's without any issues. The roads I ride are not smooth by any means also.
I'd recommend that you start looking for that new wheelset. You're riding on borrowed time.

·
Registered
891 Posts
As I mentioned In other threads, how did they determine the weight limit? 300lbs seems like a pretty high maximum weight for those wheels, based on what they look like in the pictures. I don't think they can hold up for a long time with a 300lb rider.

·
Engineer
46 Posts
They will hold up. I gave a more detailed answer in the other thread since you seem to be chasing this on down. If you still are unconvinced, buy a set and ride with weights up to 300lbs. You will probably get tired before the wheels wear out. If you can break them at 300lbs, I'm sure they will fix them and revise any weak points or claims if necessary. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just Curious - As a Clydesdale myself, 200 pounds at 6'2" I have broken many a spoke and wheels throughout my 28 years of riding, the RPP wheels compared to similar looking wheels, i.e. spoke count and gram weight, have weight limits of 180 to 200 pound-ish riders. What is different about these wheels that allows the weight limit to expand to 300lbs?

·
Engineer
46 Posts
I'll start with a question. The wheels that you have broken previously, where did they break, spoke, nipple, eyelet, hub, rim, bearing, etc.? Everyone has an opinion on design, so lets start with some common weak points.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts