Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Could be faster
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stock standard wheelset on my bike (specialized allez sport) is the Alex AT400. being a newbie to road biking, i don't really know what would be a good upgrade. I'm currently looking at either the Campy Proton (06 model) or the Campy Zonda (06 model). would either of these two wheelset represent a significant improvement over the Alex AT400?

by the way, i have no intentions of racing competitively but would be taking part in road bike events with the intention of completing event within a respectible time. so i'm pretty much after a mid-level wheelset rather than a high-end one.

Also, can i safely use a shimano freehub on the campy wheelset, or alternatively will a shimano 9 speed cassette fit a campy freehub without any problems?

cheers.

boon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,524 Posts
Interchange

boon said:
Also, can i safely use a shimano freehub on the campy wheelset, or alternatively will a shimano 9 speed cassette fit a campy freehub without any problems?
To the wheel upgrade question, your best value will be a build on the hubs of your choice with something like a Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC, MAVIC OP, or DT rim with 15/16 or 14/15 spokes, brass nipples.

You cannot interchange Campy cassettes and Shimano cassettes. There is a specific freehub body for each. You can get freehub bodys for Campy wheels that will fit Shimano, but Shimano does not supply bodies that will fit Campy. For other brands of wheels/hubs, you have to ask.
 

·
Could be faster
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply.

here's another newbie question: in the event that I was to go the campy way - campy wheelset, freehub and cassette - will that setup work with a shimano 105 rear derailleur?

boon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
maybe, but you don't want to.

boon said:
thanks for your reply.

here's another newbie question: in the event that I was to go the campy way - campy wheelset, freehub and cassette - will that setup work with a shimano 105 rear derailleur?

boon

with enough machine skills, you can make anything work. BUT, everyone on this board is going to suggest you stay with a full campy setup, or in your case, full shimano. you'll enjoy problem free shifting for years.

you can not go wrong with a nice Ultegra hubset and Mavic Open Pro or Velocity Aerohead rim, BUILT BY A GOOD WHEELBUILDER! They will take the time to ask you your weight and riding style/conditions, and then make some thoughtful suggestions regarding spokes and rims.

good luck, and enjoy your new, shimano compatible wheelset, whatever it may be.
 

·
Could be faster
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
morgan1819 said:
with enough machine skills, you can make anything work. BUT, everyone on this board is going to suggest you stay with a full campy setup, or in your case, full shimano. you'll enjoy problem free shifting for years.

you can not go wrong with a nice Ultegra hubset and Mavic Open Pro or Velocity Aerohead rim, BUILT BY A GOOD WHEELBUILDER! They will take the time to ask you your weight and riding style/conditions, and then make some thoughtful suggestions regarding spokes and rims.

good luck, and enjoy your new, shimano compatible wheelset, whatever it may be.
Thanks for the advice.

so, i'm curious: www.totalcycling.com is selling campy wheelsets with shimano freehubs. should i avoid that on the basis that i might end up with some sort of problem down the line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,524 Posts
No problem

boon said:
so, i'm curious: www.totalcycling.com is selling campy wheelsets with shimano freehubs. should i avoid that on the basis that i might end up with some sort of problem down the line?
There's no problems with this kind of setup. You may well get problems when you put a Shimano cassette with a Campy derailleur/shifters or a Campy cassette with Shimano derailleur/shifter. Some will tell you this works fine, and others have had difficulties.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top