Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
dwadamcat said:
I just worry if they are going to go out of true or if they wont work what is a cheaper set that will be strong screw the light weight I can lose that at the gut
Unless you are much larger than average, 32H 3x OPs should be more than strong enough. I'm not sure what spending less will get you other than crappier hubs and heavier rims (that are probably not stronger). If you want really strong rims, Deep Vs are pretty bomb-proof (but way too heavy to use unless you really need them).

If you are racing though, you should really be thinking tubular.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm thinking tubular. Guessing for us Campy folks the hot setup is 32h Record hubs and Reflex rims?

PeanutButterBreath said:
Unless you are much larger than average, 32H 3x OPs should be more than strong enough. I'm not sure what spending less will get you other than crappier hubs and heavier rims (that are probably not stronger). If you want really strong rims, Deep Vs are pretty bomb-proof (but way too heavy to use unless you really need them).

If you are racing though, you should really be thinking tubular.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been thinking about this topic as, in another thread the topic was about the ride of frames, steal vs. aluminum vs. carbon vs. titanium. The over all consensus was that the ride is really about wheels. This is where the most weight savings can be had, and the most performance. My wheels do me alright. Bontager Selects with Bontager hubs, been using Michelins but I can't keep them long on the rear, just slit a week old Jet today. I'm in to any thoughts on this topic. The best wheel set up, good for training, best value, yeah tubulars I bet are a dream, but right now I'm on clinchers. My Selects have been really good on being true, but I have broken spokes. I thinking about another set of wheels, are the FSA wheels any good? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used selects and they are not really ment to hold up to the abuse. I have also broken spokes and had them go out of true constantly, but on a road bike for lighter use ya there good and affordable. I just want old school and strong I weigh 200 lb and know I am very aggresive on my gear I have broken many bike parts and just want something not to pricy I would build some bad ass chris kings 36h ect. but that would cost close to a grand for how I want it and would like to avoid that.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
keep your Ultegra O/Ps

buy ausedset of Ultegra or D/A laced up to a tub rim
I'm bigger than you and 32 3x does fine
at your size you will appreciate the ability to run lower pressure w/o pinch flatting that tubs provide

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'd avoid the mavics if your goal is to use stans, people seem to have trouble w/ that particular rim for that application. Otherwise, it's a wonderful rim

I'd consider Dura Ace if you can swing it, Ultegra hubs seem to get loose a little faster than I'd like. I'm assuming the DA's have a little harder races or something, they seem to hold up better with my zero service plan.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Couple of thoughts.

If you go with a handbuilt set, check around with your local builders and see if any of them offer free truing. We have a local builder who builds up a great wheel and if it ever goes out of true (regardless of what did it) he trues them up for free for the life of the wheel to original owner. That helps sell a lot of wheels and he can do a fine job rather quickly.

Prebuilt wheels...well learn how to true up the particular wheel and you can stretch the wheel life/usability further.

Tubular vs. clincher. man that is one with too many answers. Find a tire you like, use it, enjoy it. make your engine better and have a blast.

your (OP) choices are just fine. If you ride past the quality of the wheels, then upgrade. If you want super sweet wheels from day one, rock and roll.

·
Registered
348 Posts
dead flag blues said:
I'm thinking tubular. Guessing for us Campy folks the hot setup is 32h Record hubs and Reflex rims?
Nice wheels but be aware that the Reflex rims are a little wider than most clincher rims which might be an issue if you are switching wheels out- you'll probably need to adjust your brakes each time. I've been on a couple sets of old stock Mavic GP4s and they're close to the same width as my clincher OPs, and at 400g/32holes they're plenty strong enough, plus you can find them cheap- I recently scored another pair on Ebay for $40/pr. The brake surface isn't machined like the newer Reflexes but they've been fine in wet conditions with pink Kool Stop pads. When conditions go from very wet to apocalypse I usually switch to Michelin mud clinchers anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
jroden said:
I'd avoid the mavics if your goal is to use stans, people seem to have trouble w/ that particular rim for that application. Otherwise, it's a wonderful rim

I'd consider Dura Ace if you can swing it, Ultegra hubs seem to get loose a little faster than I'd like. I'm assuming the DA's have a little harder races or something, they seem to hold up better with my zero service plan.
Never tried the Stans, but I have noticed that it's pretty easy to mount clinchers on Mavic OP rims than others, maybe the fit isn't tight enough for tubeless? In contrast my DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims are really tough to mount, requires 2 good tire levers (on road tires anyway). So maybe Stans and the DT rims are a good combo? By the way, am I the only one who complains about Park Tool tire levers, the green ones? They suck...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.