Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wheelsmith tensionmeter. I sometimes have to build with DT spokes. DT double butted spokes are 2.0/1.8. I never really gave it much thought until now. How would you tension the wheel with the Wheelsmith calibration chart, which is for wheelsmith spokes, should I go a little above db14 scale. Or are they close enough to not matter? Example- Db14 scale reading 55= 102kgf. Should I look for 58-60 with dt spokes to equal the same tension.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
purplecu22 said:
I have a Wheelsmith tensionmeter. I sometimes have to build with DT spokes. DT double butted spokes are 2.0/1.8. I never really gave it much thought until now. How would you tension the wheel with the Wheelsmith calibration chart, which is for wheelsmith spokes, should I go a little above db14 scale. Or are they close enough to not matter? Example- Db14 scale reading 55= 102kgf. Should I look for 58-60 with dt spokes to equal the same tension.
My Wheelsmith calibration chart is by spoke size. You would just use the 1.8mm column. If yours only has 'gauge' calibrations, 15g= 1.8mm. - TF

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
purplecu22 said:
My chart list for example ss-14, ss-15 DB-14 with the gauge at the top. My understanding is this is for the wheelsmith spoke not the gauge.
Here is what I have.

Top pic is the tensiometer. Same?

Second pic is the calibration chart for my meter. Each one is diffferent. Note the matching serial numbers.

Third pic is a reference chart showing the common spokes of the day (c. 2002).

TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.