Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What age do you start your child racing? My son is now on a bike and was wondering when most folks outthere start racing bikes, road/bmx/mtn for their kids. I came way late into the sport at 22. He is already footballing so i was just curious.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
brad nicholson said:
What age do you start your child racing? My son is now on a bike and was wondering when most folks outthere start racing bikes, road/bmx/mtn for their kids. I came way late into the sport at 22. He is already footballing so i was just curious.
Both velodromes around here have tricycle races. Pretty young. - TF

·
Registered
245 Posts
Depends on the child

I started bmx when I was 10, but back then we had to ride our bikes everywhere we went. So we were pretty adept at riding. Nowadays, too many rides in the car as traffic is too heavy to send your 8 year old very far from home on their bike.

You'll know when the kid is ready. The key is exposure at a young age. I saw a car at the College World Series that had a sweet tandem on the roof rack and two of those little teeny (20" wheels i think) Trek road bikes on the back, pretty cool!!!

Most local races here have kids races either before or after, no particular type of bike is required, just fun. Give one of those a try.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd recommend they start in BMX or XC. The races are far more casual and it helps big time on handleing skills.

Check out your local scene with your son, he might not have any intrest or he might knock you out of the way to the starting line. The big key is not to push him into it. And don't hesitate to suggest he take a year off if intrest starts to wain. Don't want to burn him out before he is 16.

Every parent wants to see thier kid acheive what they didn't/couldn't. But often push them away from it because their passion overwhelms the childs. You want to develop their passion for riding not for racing... Get the first, and perhaps the later will come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.