Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I just can't get into them this year, and all this Torino hype is really starting to irritate me. :(
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Lord. Half the board is full of Olympic stuff, most of the topics are duplicates, so what's an anti-olympic thread gonna hurt?

I figured as many die-hard games viewers as we had here, someone would know off the top of their head when the competitions are over and save me the Google search. Guess not.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
26th is the last day of competition on NBC's schedule in case anyone was curious.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
I'm with you G. Yawn. Maybe if we were able to see anything other than NBC's coverage it would be better.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize they had started splitting the coverage between networks. Maybe it's just something I don't remember from the Olympics when I was a kid. I didn't watch the last summer Olympics or the winter before that (I remember Japan and Sydney but don't remember which is which). I dunno, I feel weird that I'm indifferent, almost guilty. But it just seems so commercialized, so hyped. I'll be glad when it's over.
 

·
a jumped up pantry boy
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I didn't realize they had started splitting the coverage between networks. Maybe it's just something I don't remember from the Olympics when I was a kid. I didn't watch the last summer Olympics or the winter before that (I remember Japan and Sydney but don't remember which is which). I dunno, I feel weird that I'm indifferent, almost guilty. But it just seems so commercialized, so hyped. I'll be glad when it's over.
i think alot of people get all caught up in the olympics becuase they see it as war where no one dies. they think that if one of the athletes screws up they didnt just let themselves down, they let their entire country down.

with that said, ive watched maybe an hour of coverage. i always get into the summer games, but i find it harder to get into the winter ones. maybe itd because they have bikes in the summer games.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Gig 'em said:
For some reason I just can't get into them this year, and all this Torino hype is really starting to irritate me. :(
The key is to come from another country, like Canada, and move to another country, like Sweden, to make you realise how good the CBC and SVT are. NBC's Olympic coverage has sucked for so many years, I pitty you Americans. As I've written in another thread, CBC in Canada and SVT here in Sweden obviously give extra coverage to athletes from their own country, but at least they acknowledge athletes from other countries as well. NBC is just so pro-American, it's horrible. They seem to forget that 85 countries are participating, not just one.
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,047 Posts
wayneanneli said:
The key is to come from another country, like Canada, and move to another country, like Sweden, to make you realise how good the CBC and SVT are. NBC's Olympic coverage has sucked for so many years, I pitty you Americans. As I've written in another thread, CBC in Canada and SVT here in Sweden obviously give extra coverage to athletes from their own country, but at least they acknowledge athletes from other countries as well. NBC is just so pro-American, it's horrible. They seem to forget that 85 countries are participating, not just one.
Cheers, Wayne
Amen to that- no commercials (so they show the Zamboni between heats during speedskating), no Bob Costas, no taped delay (although they constantly show reruns of Norwegian medalists performances), and no figure skating. We have Swedish TV here as well- in addition to 3 Norwegian networks covering the games- so we probably have as much as all the cable coverage in the US. My only complaint is that there was way too much curling shown this year.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,482 Posts
wayneanneli said:
The key is to come from another country, like Canada, and move to another country, like Sweden, to make you realise how good the CBC and SVT are. NBC's Olympic coverage has sucked for so many years, I pitty you Americans. As I've written in another thread, CBC in Canada and SVT here in Sweden obviously give extra coverage to athletes from their own country, but at least they acknowledge athletes from other countries as well. NBC is just so pro-American, it's horrible. They seem to forget that 85 countries are participating, not just one.
Cheers, Wayne
Agreed. I think the pro-American NBC coverage is what is ultimately hurting their ratings here in the US. I mean the Olympics are getting beat in the ratings by "American Idol".

They focus on American athlethes who wind up barely medalling and ignore the world class athlethes from other countries. And they've done this for years. It's jingoistic and caters to the lowest common denominator - folks who see the Olympics in an "us versus them" light, and not for the sportsmanship and competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Gig 'em said:
For some reason I just can't get into them this year, and all this Torino hype is really starting to irritate me. :(
I've watched very little. It is a big money making machine for the network involved and the endless hype does get old. Too much in-depth crap. They have been doing that for years though. I usually watch a lot more than I did this time.
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
Gig 'em said:
For some reason I just can't get into them this year, and all this Torino hype is really starting to irritate me. :(
What took you so long? I was already annoyed a few weeks before opening ceremonies.
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
catering to sponsors....

il sogno said:
..... caters to the lowest common denominator - folks who see the Olympics in an "us versus them" light, and not for the sportsmanship and competition.
.... no dissagreement here il sogno, but I would like to add that what is really being catered here to are the sponsors....... let's face it, using airtime to show some obscure athlete from [insert oscure country here] compete and win in some sport that has zippo following here in the good ole u.s. of a does not sell Nike stateside like the shots of the big "swoosh" on Chad, Joey and Shani on the podium........

It's commercial TV, and they long ago discovered that catering "us vs. them" generates profits, which is afterall, the name of the game!
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
What took you so long? I was already annoyed a few weeks before opening ceremonies.
the Olympics is on? ;) I watched the Everyday Italian chick's Italy special last night instead. Yum.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
See

yarble said:
i think alot of people get all caught up in the olympics becuase they see it as war where no one dies. they think that if one of the athletes screws up they didnt just let themselves down, they let their entire country down.

with that said, ive watched maybe an hour of coverage. i always get into the summer games, but i find it harder to get into the winter ones. maybe itd because they have bikes in the summer games.

I'm the opposite, besides the cycling, the summer games are BORING.....track and field, yuck.....The winter games are more exciting, I mean, watching someone dive onto a sled headfirst 80mph down an icy chute, that's exciting. There's always more injuries at the winter games too, because of the unpredictable weather and essential nature of competing on ice and snow.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet the everyday italian couldn't bake chocolate chip cookies as good as famous amos.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top