Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a careless moment three weeks ago, I sit today with a pin-and-wire contraption in my left elbow holding together my well-broken arm.

After commuting nearly every day this winter and feeling like I shared MB1's rides through rain and snow, it's killing me not to be able to ride now that the weather has improved in our nation's capital.

Can anyone tell what to expect in the weeks ahead? How soon can I get back on the bike? Is it just a matter of putting up with the pain? Obviously I'll follow doctor's advice, but any memories from those similarly injured would be greatly appreciated.

At a minimum I'm hoping to join another MB1 ride this spring or summer if he chooses to lead one.

Thanks,
Wonger

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Talk it over with your doc.

Wonger said:
Can anyone tell what to expect in the weeks ahead? How soon can I get back on the bike? Is it just a matter of putting up with the pain? Obviously I'll follow doctor's advice, but any memories from those similarly injured would be greatly appreciated.

At a minimum I'm hoping to join another MB1 ride this spring or summer if he chooses to lead one.

Thanks,
Wonger
Pain is your bodies way of telling you to stop. I don't doubt that you are in a hurry to get back on the bike but missing a bit more riding this year is a lot better than re-injuring yourself and having to miss a lot more riding.

BTW we ride every day of the year, you are always welcome to join us.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
8 weeks

The standard for bone healing is 8 weeks. Though there is quite a bit of variation between people and depending on the specifics of the break, you won't find doctors who will "let you out early" since their X-rays don't tell them much about bone growth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

...MB1 and Kerry for the guidance. I won't go out before it's safe, just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Going out or going in

Wonger said:
...MB1 and Kerry for the guidance. I won't go out before it's safe, just hoping it's sooner rather than later.
One logical approach would be to ride indoors. You can work your legs with only one hand on the bars. I would recommend this approach, as the increased blood flow and generally better health you get from exercise will speed your recovery. Your doctor won't recognize that, but you will benefit greatly. Obviously fast walking, running, or other big muscle exercise will serve the same purpose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts