Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that very recently David Millar is constantly being quoted a lot (on websites like velonews and cyclingnews) about various pro cycling issues. It gives the impression he is the wise voice of the peloton, and very respected.
Now I have nothing against Millar, he seems like a nice guy, but when did this happen? I don't remember being innundated with Millar quotes until this season. Additionally, he is a convicted doper - so why are his words so meaningful when he talks about anti doping?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
good observation... could be just because he speaks English and is willing to state an opinion, instead of the safe non-answers a lot of riders give

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I think anyone who has raced professionally at the top level for almost 15 years would acquire a lot of wisdom. He gets respected because he's a senior member of the peloton with a pretty good list of accomplishments. But he's also fairly outspoken and not shy to state his opinion, like when he famously quit the Vuelta in 2002 on the Angliru. Although he regretted it later.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
I think it started when he got caught doping. Rather than deny it and protest, he said, "yeah, I did it" and served his suspension, and got back to riding his bike.

Doing that lent him an aura of gravitas, responsibility, and a sort of moral high ground character that those in the cycling world have gravitated to. Hopefully, he's living up to that reputation.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
i agree that he seems to be the "outspoken voice" of all things.
if you think back, about the 08 Giro, he's right. That was the best doped racing seen in 20 years.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think it started when he got caught doping. Rather than deny it and protest, he said, "yeah, I did it" and served his suspension, and got back to riding his bike.

Doing that lent him an aura of gravitas, responsibility, and a sort of moral high ground character that those in the cycling world have gravitated to. Hopefully, he's living up to that reputation.
Millar has a likeable personality, but he did deny it originally, and he couldn't really deny it since EPO vials were found in his room, and his phones were tapped, and he was implicated by others.

Having said that, he is a likeable guy, talks to the press a lot and speaks eloquently, and that's why he is quoted a lot.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I had to Google 'CERA' :lol: !

Is that stuff still being used?

·
448 Posts
I think a lot of it came from how he reacted to being aught doping. He took his punishment and from a lot of the interviews he has given since, he's said that taking that time off gave him time to think. So he came back with a different mindset, instead of doing anything to win, he came back wanting to make professional cycling better.

I think he's always been outspoken, but I think it was more under the radar. Why the spike in attention now? I would have to say it's because of how he handled being in Pink after the tragedy at the Giro. He showed a lot class. I think the press saw that and it reminded them that he was a patron of the sport.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Not new this year. He's been quoted more and more often since the switch to Slipstream/Garmin.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
eloquent, smart and is a confessed former doper
he doesn't need to BS

·
Registered
481 Posts
Millar comes across as an extremely dour, very well-educated, middle class Scottish Presbyterian. He puts a lot of effort into hiding it. He's got nothing resembling a sense of humour. He's incapable of not speaking in coherent sentences -makes for good quotes and a contrast to most of the peloton.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I, for one, like his temperament.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think that he has gotten the respect when he became involved with garmin. Not only is he a rider/racer but he has a stake in it as well. Thus as part of management, you gain that prestige that comes with it. But as others have noted, he is a likable person & his "from the heart" comments have earned him many fans. Myself included.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
Easy answer IMO

WHEN he got nailed for doping, he fessed up, and he put it out there and accepted the blame and came back "clean"

He also had the balls to say, the harder you make courses, the more the temptation is to dope.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
I, for one, like his temperament.

i love that video so much. he was so set to win that and teh chain snapped. honestly, looking back, might as well chuck that thing. not like the mechanic is gonna fix it right there. there are a few good pictures of the shain in the street, looking like a dead snake.

iirc, this was one of the first seasons with sram road and shimano 10 speeds. there seemed to be a lot of snaped chains, but it may have been more we were looking for them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Milar has been around, rather successfully for many seasons. I think most would find some wisdom comes along with his experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts