Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to lunch at 5 guys and ordered the little burger, small fry and small drink. i got a massive burger, a metric ass load of fries and a 28oz drink cup.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
"Small" is the new extra-large.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
asciibaron said:
went to lunch at 5 guys and ordered the little burger, small fry and small drink. i got a massive burger, a metric ass load of fries and a 28oz drink cup.
And the latest model Honda Civic is as big as an Accord from 10 years ago.

A couple years ago we were up in the small town my wife grew up in. Stopped at the local diner for a burger. Out came these little bitty things the size of a junior burger at the big chains, soda in 12 oz cups and a tiny little paper pouch of fries. Then I realized that they've been making burgers the same way for 50 years or so. This used to be the standard adult serving.

ugh.

doomed by our own prosperity and abundance.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buck-50 said:
This used to be the standard adult serving.
in college there was a diner you could eat at for less than $5.00 and you would get 1/2 a chicken, 3 sides, a dinner, and a slice of pie. this was in the early 1990's and they had been serving that meal since Jesus fell off his brontosaurus.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Commercially, I figure it was about the time that the red box of fries at McDonalds became the medium instead of large like it used to be. Early-to-mid 90s?

I'm convinced that a large percentage of the US population equates (most likely unconsciously) quantity/low price per unit with quality. And I think that's why 5 Guys is consistently said to have great fries. You get a metric buttload of them, but objectively, unless you like your fries soggy, they're not really all that great. But you get a lot for your money--the fry cup is big already, but wait! They throw in all those "free" extra fries. Somehow more droopy fries, especially if it seems like they were snuck into the bag extra, equates to best fries.

I've been on this soapbox here before, of course.

More fries=better fries
Too hot to eat/menacing name = better hot sauce
Loaded with hops, to hell with the style = better beer
Giant portions = great restaurant

That stuff is sort of trivial, but I think it's telling. We (and I don't exclude myself, though I'm working on it) have a serious problem with thinking that more is the answer--it'll make us happier, it'll let us feel safer and secure, it'll make all the slogging longer and longer for what shakes out to less pay feel worthwhile. But of course more--of anything--rarely does any of that.

People REALLY need to get a grasp on the meaning of enough. While there's still something left of the things they like.

·
done
3,293 Posts
I hate playing Captain Obvious, but you aren't required to eat everything they give you. You can eat until your hunger is sated, then toss the rest. The Clean Plate Club isn't going to jump you in the parking lot.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
I ordered the 5-pack of Walla Walla onion rings at Burgerville last night. 700 calories from five o-rings!! Totally worth it though.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Love Commander said:
I hate playing Captain Obvious, but you aren't required to eat everything they give you. You can eat until your hunger is sated, then toss the rest. The Clean Plate Club isn't going to jump you in the parking lot.
I think this is at least part of the problem.

Lots of people have a misplaced notion of "getting their money's worth".

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I bought a half dozen minibagels for my friend and her visiting family. Nobody even noticed they were "mini," because they make them HUGE. In fact, I forgot that I even ordered mini until this thread.

We kept two for ourselves, and in the past three days, haven't even finished one yet.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
First off, no one should ever go to Five Guys and order a fry of any size for just themself. You know you're gonna get a brown paper bag full of fries, just split it and don't waste so much.

Secondly, the small food becaue huge when the large t shirt became the medium. Its all connected man....

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
asciibaron said:
in college there was a diner you could eat at for less than $5.00 and you would get 1/2 a chicken, 3 sides, a dinner, and a slice of pie. this was in the early 1990's and they had been serving that meal since Jesus fell off his brontosaurus.
So you get a dinner with your lunch? That is a pretty good deal.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
weltyed said:
some people dont mind.

Gutfiddle hits on her in 5...4...3......

joe

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love Commander said:
i tossed 2/3rd's of the fries in the trash. i left about 4 bites of the burger too.

·
I drank what?
3,229 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
a large percentage of the US population equates (most likely unconsciously) quantity/low price per unit with quality.
Maybe in some cases, but I think the reverse is predominately true. Take for example beers, look at beer labeled as craft brews. A lot of people assume they're better quality then the bigger brewers, even when they might not be. It's the reason Sam Adams is trying to keep it's craft status. Same with Grey Goose vodka, blind taste test have shown it's no better then Smirnoff, but the clever marketing, packaging and price point give it an aura of quality. Same with other consumer product. I think the 'value' factor you mention is more likely

1 - 20 of 45 Posts