Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
When a tire is damaged beyond repair or when the casing just starts to show. I don't rotate them but the rear always wear faster so the front tire becomes the rear tire and the new tire becomes the new front tire. So it isn't usually a new pair but a new tire.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I have Conti 4000S with wear indicators. I replace the tire when the wear indicator is no longer visible. If I am lazy I just put a new tire on the rear. You should really have the best tire on the front on any vehicle so you should rotate the front to the back and put the new tire on the front.

Never rotate from back to front. You don't want a squared off tire on the front causing unsafe handling. I guess if you rotated every couple hundred miles you could do it. But why would you want to. I cannot see that you are saving anything.

· Registered
668 Posts
When the casing just starts to show or when they start to affect cornering because of squaring.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Quite fuzzy

alexb618 said:
when they square off a bit i change mine, or, when i find a nice deal for the tyres i want!
I once had a guy give me his tire because it had "squared off" and he figured it was worn out. I put another 1500 miles on it before the casing threads started to show, which is when I consider a tire worn out. IME, "squared off" occurs at just about half the mileage of "worn out."

· Registered
1,347 Posts
IME 'squared off' also means 'handles very poorly' - thats why i change them out

on a commuter however (which for me is a sedate and completely flat ride) i would go down as far as the casing before changing them

· Registered
668 Posts
When they square there is less contact area while cornering and leaning....and thats potential danger.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Thin ice

alexb618 said:
IME 'squared off' also means 'handles very poorly' - thats why i change them out.
smokva said:
When they square there is less contact area while cornering and leaning....and thats potential danger.
You guys are sadly confused. If you look at the deflection of the tire casing and the thickness and pliability of the rubber tread, there is no way that a "squared off" rear tire is going to even be noticeable in handling difference, let alone dangerous or "very poor" compared to a new tire. The contact area of a tire is due to the tire pressure and rider weight, and does not change as the tire wears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.