Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds like a dumb question... :)

When I am riding alone... like I usually do.... I try to ride with a cadence above 90. My usual ride has no hills, but tons of wind. It is not out and back... but a loop where the wind shifts as I change direction. When I am riding into the wind and maintaining 90... its tough.

Question is... when do I shift?? I sometimes find myself up around 105 cadence when I have the wind with me... and I am happy to have the break.

Do you guys shift based on cadence?? Like say... when I hit 95... shift up to keep around 90? This only applies to solo rides obviously as the pace of a group ride will dictate the pace.

Just trying to gather some info here... sorry if it sounds dumb.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think most riders shift on the basis their feel of both the cadence and the pressure their feeling on the pedals. As you ride more and more you won't need to think too much about this. Right now, you're doing the right thing with mental targets based on cadence. This will train your 'feel' to shift when the cadence drops or the pressure isn't enough.

In a race, I anticipate the shifting and do it before I need to. Corners and climbs require some prep in order to be at the right cadence when the effort jumps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i shift to maintain the desired level of cardio effort balanced against muscle tension in legs. generally when racing I try to maintain a higher cadence to tax my heart and save my legs for when I really need them

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
My Campy shifters make a cool clicky sound when I shift, so sometimes I like to play them, like castanets. Arriba!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I shift based on what makes me most comfortable and fastest in the current condition.
I shift based on what makes me fastest and the least uncomfortable in the current condition.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Ole!

Creakyknees said:
My Campy shifters make a cool clicky sound when I shift, so sometimes I like to play them, like castanets. Arriba!
lol, love it.

If it's a basic solo ride i tend to shift up if my cadence is increasing, but my heart rate is decreasing. My coach often assigns a particular cadance range, so I stick to that. "Spin" rides ar 90 or above, "Push" rides are 75 or above. On bike strength is 50 or above.

Group rides or races is anything that keeps you in the pack.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I shift when I damn well feel like it............and not before. (because I don't give myself any lip....I know better than to do that)

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
when the power (effort Im putting out) cant be maintained, I shift down and when Im spinning I change up depending on how much effort I want to make, all at "my cadence" - your results may vary.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
android said:
I shift based on what makes me fastest and the least uncomfortable in the current condition.
+1 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts