Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode all through the winter with my fenders on. Here in Seattle, I really needed them. I took them off the first week in April, since I was doing the Ridge to River in Wenatchee, and I haven't put the fenders back on. I'm waffling back and forth about reinstalling them, but it's such a pain with the tight clearances on my middle of the road Univega Modo. I'm also (foolishly?) optimistic that most of the raining is done for the spring, and that a nice dry stretch is right around the corner.

What do you think? Is it worth it to put the fenders back on, or should I just tough out a few more rainy days before the dry weather shows up? PNW riders, I'm especially interested in your viewpoint, since we get the same rain.

Thanks all,
P

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
2nd Bike solution

You really need to get a second bike. One with fenders and one without. This will solve all your problems...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't take them off. I live in Vancouver. Similar to you it rains a lot here even in the summer.

If I had to pick a time to take them off, it would be for the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August. After that they go back on again :D

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I leave them on in Portland because it can rain anytime through June, and it's not worth it to me to take them off for July-Sept.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
The good news is, in the PNW you will only need the fenders minimally during the next month or so, and then not at all until October.

That said, the fenders stay on my commuter (a converted MTB) and I have no plans to take them off. I think even if I decide to slap some knobbies on for some weekend off roading I would leave the fenders on, just because I'm lazy. I'm not going to win any races anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's not like I thought I was going to win R2R, but the thought of cooking down Squilchuck Rd. at 50 mph made me want to reduce the chances of parts flying off my bike.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have gotten a touring or 'cross bike, so I'd have room for things like fenders, and built in ways to attach them. That's not to say I don't love my bike - I do!

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Since this is the CT forum, I suppose the bike is for commuting and touring, I would not take the fenders off unless it is absolute necessary, i.e. when I pack/bag my commuter bike for travelling, then I put them back on immediately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts