Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is my question as I continue to search for a cycle-cross bike. Each and every one I run across in the LBS in my so called size with a 545mm +/-top tube has a stand over height that brings me to my toes and turns into a nut buster.

So, in general the dilemma becomes when does stand over height win out over top tube size? I guess I just feel the need to be firmly planted on the ground when stopped versus being stuck feeling like I'm 12 years old and standing on my tippy toes.

The two shops that actually attempted to sell me a bike obviously wanted me to take the floor models they had which road fine minus the stand over height and when we talked about going a size down they acted like that was an option but didn't want to talk about ordering one in. So it was take it or leave it and I'm going to guess that might be due to model change over timing.

The other 3 shops i visited didn't want to be bothered in trying to sell a bike (honestly I was the only person in the stores) or even want to order one in and that is a whole other thread in itself. But goodness who would've have thought trying to buy a bike from 5 bike shops would be so hard.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
There's no need for both feet to be on the ground. Use the experienced rider's way of standing at a stop* and all this "SOH" nonsense will go away.

*One foot clipped in, other foot on the ground, thigh of the leg with the clipped-in foot resting on the top tube.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
There are a lot of frames with a sloping top tube. If you really don't have enough standover you're probably looking at the wrong size frames or have extremely short legs relative to your height. My guess is you're looking at the wrong size frame. I have short legs relative to my height and get enough stand over with a regular straight top tube assuming the rest of the bike is the right size.
How tall are you and how long are your legs?

But to answer the question directly: Never.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Neither. Never buy a bike by top tube length, this isn't 1980 anymore.

You use stack and reach as the numbers to go by, nothing else.

If SOH is important to you, you can consider it of course, but stack and reach is how you fit a frame.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neither. Never buy a bike by top tube length, this isn't 1980 anymore.

You use stack and reach as the numbers to go by, nothing else.

If SOH is important to you, you can consider it of course, but stack and reach is how you fit a frame.
I laughed out lould. I do resemble that comment of it is not 1980 anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts