Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a coworker this morning for the ride from the burbs to downtown Denver. The path we take parallels the S Platte River. Needless to say, we see a lot of waterfowl. It's been a mild and dry winter on the Front Range so many of the geese have never left.

We started out just behind another rider. It didn't take long to run into the geese. A jogger was on the dirt path next to the concrete and he scared a goose out in front of me. I hit the brakes and kept going. A few seconds later, a large gaggle of geese takes flight around a curve and about 100yds in front of us. They're making more noise than normal and appear to be in a hurry. We round the bend to see the guy in front of us on the ground about 6ft away from his bike. Apparently, he scared the geese as they were off the trail and in a small timber patch. They took flight just as he was riding by and one of them took him out. There were feathers everywhere. The guy was alright but he's missing a large section of his jacket, glove and toe cover. He got up, dusted himself off and kept going.

Be careful out there kids.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that goose wanted his down back... I thought you meant a real attack. canada geese can be mean mofos

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a mid-flight Candian Goose attack. They're big and plump too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I rode through a group of geese the other day too. They were all flying away from me so I wasn't worried about getting hit by a goose.....but goose poop on the other hand. :eek: Gotta watch out for the automatic poop ejection that happens as they get off the ground.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
There's an artificial pond fairly near me that's aerated. The Canada Geese are there all winter long. It's a place where I never ride, but occasionally have to drive through there. Those suckers won't get out of the way fer nuttin'. They'll let you drive right over them with the car rather than hurry. They'll move, but you practically have to push them out of the way. Pesky critters.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kind of a different scale, but I had a pigeon fly into my front wheel the other day. I don't understand how it didn't jam it and throw me off. Feathers everywhere!

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
qwertzy said:
Kind of a different scale, but I had a pigeon fly into my front wheel the other day. I don't understand how it didn't jam it and throw me off. Feathers everywhere!
Don't let PETA find out! They will push to ban cycling.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the first time I've ever seen the geese take off in flight with a rider going by. Their normal behavior is to waddle off to the side or, at most, flap a few times and land nearby.

·
Registered
255 Posts
bwana said:
Don't let PETA find out!
:D
I did feel a bit bad. I was wondering if I should go back and finish it off if it was badly wounded. Three lanes of rush-hour traffic made me see reason though. A speeding SUV could surely do a better job than me. :D

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
About 10 years ago we were driving by a small park. There were hundreds of geese. My wife said that she wanted to run through them. I said go for it. She got out of the car and started running. About 1/2 way through she had a "WTF am I doing?" moment. She said it went from having fun to being scared. She made it out without any problems, but she said she wouldn't do it again.

She said it was much lounder than expected between the honking and wing flapping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts