Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the Jefferson from across the tidal basin. The trees surround the basin. It's a good hour walk around it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It is pretty there in the Spring. I moved away a long time ago, but I lived in the area (downtown and suburban Maryland) for about 10 years in two different stretches, and I miss many things about it.

Is that the "Tulip Library"? I've read that the National Park Service flies in the bulbs from the Netherlands, 10,000 bulbs of 100 different varieties. they plant hundreds of thousands more at other spots around the Mall and the Mt. Vernon Parkway on the Virginia side.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
So nice! There's one cherry blossom tree in bloom on my walk home from the train. Love walking underneath it this time of year. :)

Though I'm a bit concerned for all the bulbs that have started to come up- was around 29F last night.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it got down to 30 last night here too. Cold and windy today. Didn't ride and probably won't venture out at lunch. I'm really ready for warm weather. I did get the lawn mower out last weekend.

JC -- Yes I think it is. There's a bunch of different varieties grown in plots. There are tulips blooming all over the place right now. I'll post some more pictures later. Glad you enjoy them.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
So nice! There's one cherry blossom tree in bloom on my walk home from the train. Love walking underneath it this time of year. :)

Though I'm a bit concerned for all the bulbs that have started to come up- was around 29F last night.
Those spring-blooming bulbs aren't generally bothered by a freeze. It was about 22 this morning here in Connecticut, and the daffodils and hyacinths still look okay (well, where I can see them poking through the snow -- we got about 4 inches yesterday). Forecast for tomorrow morning is 15. It only bothers me because the morning ice from the melting slush piles keeps me off the bike commute. But it'll be good again in a few days.

Cherry blossoms are still a few weeks off here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts