Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great deal on an 03 Bianchi Eros($250). trouble is that it is a 49". I am 5'10 with an inseam of 30". If I were sized for a bike, I'd likely be a 54". so the 49" is 5cm or about 2" smaller than ideal. I don;t want to look like an ape at the circus on a tiny bike, but I also see the pro's riding bikes where it looks like their calves go above the top tube when they petal. so maybe I need a longer reach stem, or to push the seat bike. I don't have the option financially to get a new bike, so I'm trying to make this work. should I be ok with some tweaking? or is this a non-starter?

thanks

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
bauerb said:
I got a great deal on an 03 Bianchi Eros($250). trouble is that it is a 49". I am 5'10 with an inseam of 30". If I were sized for a bike, I'd likely be a 54". so the 49" is 5cm or about 2" smaller than ideal. I don;t want to look like an ape at the circus on a tiny bike, but I also see the pro's riding bikes where it looks like their calves go above the top tube when they petal. so maybe I need a longer reach stem, or to push the seat bike. I don't have the option financially to get a new bike, so I'm trying to make this work. should I be ok with some tweaking? or is this a non-starter?

thanks
I can't say for sure one way or the other about the fit of the bike (thought I'd guess it's too small)--you'll have to judge that for yourself. What I CAN give you is a couple of things to look out for.

1. How much seatpost is showing when it's set up for you? If it's WAY too small, especially if it's a compact frame, you might not be able to get a seatpost long enough. Also, if you're heavy, and the seatpost is way extended, you might flex or bend it.

2. How's the drop to the bars? Lay a straightedge on the top of the saddle when the saddle height is set up for you--measure down from that level to the bars. The pros often have a prodigious drop--10 cm or more. Most "normal" people don't want anywhere near that. 4-7 cm is pretty sporty, and if you're new to riding you're probably going to be more comfortable with your bars nearly level to your saddle. It depends on your flexibility, etc., but I'm guessing you'll have a massive drop on this bike.

3. How's the reach? If the bike is too short front-to-back, you're going to feel all wadded up. This can be fixed a bit with a long stem, but that can have a pretty serious adverse effect on handling.

4. Can you get a good position over the cranks/bottom bracket? If you don't know what you like, try starting with getting your knee over the pedal spindle (just do a search here on KOPS and you'll see how to set it up if you don't already know). With an undersized frame, you may have quite a bit of difficulty getting that set up. This is one thing you can't adjust away, either.

There are some other potential issues, but these are the ones that stick out in my mind.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's too small

I'm 5'10" and I ride a 54 with anywhere from 54.5 to 55 TT (been sized several times using different methods/calculators/shops, etc.), which most consider too small for me. My wife's Eros is a 49 cm and she is 5'4". She uses a 10 cm stem and 25mm setback post. I test ride her bike after working on it, and there is no way I can comfortably fit on that frame. Even with an Easton setback post and a 14 cm stem, I doubt I could get the right center of gravity and saddle to bar drop on the frame. It's just too cramped.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
get sized at a shop. if you don't the money you save now will be spent between trying to make it fit and getting sized for the next bike. at the dim. given on your first post, your going to need a riser stem at least or have a big drop between seat and bars. check out any of the online sizing calculators to get you in the ball park. do a general search on this forum for this topic. if you do buy it let this forum when you plan to unload it on eBay.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You must look like Quasimodo on that bike. Tweaking is not going to work--trust me, I've spent years trying to turn my mistakes into rideable bikes without any luck, and the gap in size was nowhere near as extreme as yours. (For reference, I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam; my "ideal" fit is a 55cm frame with a 56cm TT, although I have the short legs/long torso thing going on. Sounds like you should be riding something in the neighborhood of a 54/55.) Consider getting a good, used frame, stripping the Eros for parts and then sell the Eros.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Too small. eBay the frame, crank, and bars, at your height the cranks should be too short, and the bars too narrow. I would guess a 54 might work with a 56 (generally speaking because it depends on the brand) being better with a 30" inseam and at 5'10" it should mean a longer torso which works with a longer top tube.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fit is most important

bonkmiester said:
..............:d:d:d
Hey nice pic

bauerb
Always remember that fit is the most important thing. If your on a stiff 15 lb. bike that is 49 you won't be as fast as a stiff 20 pounder. I'm sure you already know this but just trying to help. :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
too funny....

so I take the box that I received straight to the LBS yesterday to have the mechanic build it up. Now I had not opened the box yet. So I get there, open it up, and look down to see the tiniest frame I have ever seen. we pull it out and measure: 46". its the smallest model of the Eros *Donna*. a bike made for a petite woman. I am 5'11 at 205. It was extremely funny, but only because I paid $320 for the bike, and I know that I can get that back on Ebay. Its a small inconvenience, but I buy alot of stuff(not just bikes) used, so I am used to "bargains" not always working out. if anybody has a kid, or knows a petite woman looking for a bike, its on Ebay starting at $300 +shipping. its a $1,200 bike.

Howzitbroke said:
Too small. eBay the frame, crank, and bars, at your height the cranks should be too short, and the bars too narrow. I would guess a 54 might work with a 56 (generally speaking because it depends on the brand) being better with a 30" inseam and at 5'10" it should mean a longer torso which works with a longer top tube.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
The pros often have a prodigious drop--10 cm or more. Most "normal" people don't want anywhere near that. 4-7 cm is pretty sporty, and if you're new to riding you're probably going to be more comfortable with your bars nearly level to your saddle. .
Is 10 cm considered a large amount of drop?. Measured to the top of the bars?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Art853 said:
Is 10 cm considered a large amount of drop?. Measured to the top of the bars?
10cm is approxiamtely 4 inches. That is a lot of drop. Most fittings recommend about 1/2 that amount or about 5cm. Unless you are extremely flexible, and by that I mean that you can stand flatfooted with your feet a few inches apart and bend over straight legged and place your entire palms on the floor, a 2" drop may be much more comfortable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
See what being a cheap

ba$tard gets you? LOL Seriously, what were you thinking? I am 5'11 3/4 and I ride a 57cm. I could get away with a 55cm, but I prefer a larger frame because I have a longer torso. A 55cm would be perfect for you. Do not go smaller unless a 54cm has a longer toptube. Here is a picture of my newest ride and you can see by the seatpost that I have nice amount showing. Don't get caught up with the guys who race and show a ton of seatpost.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no harm, no foul

A good learning experience. BTW - bike is on ebay, and I have a bid, so no matter, I will get my money out. The trouble for me started when the seller that I bought from quoted the size as 19". I was thinking mountain bike sizing, and figured it would fit. road bike sizing is incredibly complex, and what I have learned is that you need to be measured, then you need to be fitted to the right brand/model of bike. for what its worth, I just got measured by my LBS, and ordered a 54" Giant OCR2. this will be my first racer, and it seems pretty sweet.

Lazywriter said:
ba$tard gets you? LOL Seriously, what were you thinking? I am 5'11 3/4 and I ride a 57cm. I could get away with a 55cm, but I prefer a larger frame because I have a longer torso. A 55cm would be perfect for you. Do not go smaller unless a 54cm has a longer toptube. Here is a picture of my newest ride and you can see by the seatpost that I have nice amount showing. Don't get caught up with the guys who race and show a ton of seatpost.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So what you are saying is my bike is too small? I ride a 56cm and I am about 6' 1, and I have my seat almost to the minimum insert line. Problem is that I don't know that I have the money for a new bike. I technically do have it, but I'm not sure if I should buy a new one, or get by on the bike I have until I finish college in December and then buy a new bike next year. I probably look funny on my bike. I was thinking of just putting a new stem on it and making it work until I can afford to buy a bike I REALLY want instead of just the one that I can get a decent deal on at the bike shop because I don't have enough money to drop on a bike right now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I guess I'm riding a 56cm Trek. I went to the LBS and the guy was showing me a 59 cm Raleigh. He said a 56cm was too small. I think I'm just going to stick with it until I have money. If I get a paid internship this summer maybe I can save up and buy a new ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A 56cm may not be that small for you depending upon

your dimensions. If you are more torso than legs, the 56cm may work fine if you have a longer toptube like many of the American frames made like Litespeed and go with a longer stem. Trek has a goofy way they measure their frames as well as I ride a 58cm Trek which is really a 56cm in all other brands. On average, yes I think your frame is a tad too small, but some of the more race oriented guys may disagree. There is a ttrend to go smaller nowadays as the smaller frames are a little lighter and stiffer. Years ago, the rule of thumb was a "fist full of seatpost showing" but now guys are maximizing their seatpost heights.
I think it is better to be more stretched out so your chest and shoulders can expand to allow easier breathing. Too small and cramped is uncomfortable but it all comes down to preference when it is time to choose between a 57cm or a 55cm frame like in my case. 59cm is out of the question due to standover, so that is easy, but I could ride a 55cm quite easily. A 56cm would probably be ideal, but the 57cm puts me where I want to be. Here is a picture of my 57cm Classic that I got almost 10 years ago. This is a bike I can ride all day and the seatpost height is spot on as far as proper fit IMO.

scfishy said:
So what you are saying is my bike is too small? I ride a 56cm and I am about 6' 1, and I have my seat almost to the minimum insert line. Problem is that I don't know that I have the money for a new bike. I technically do have it, but I'm not sure if I should buy a new one, or get by on the bike I have until I finish college in December and then buy a new bike next year. I probably look funny on my bike. I was thinking of just putting a new stem on it and making it work until I can afford to buy a bike I REALLY want instead of just the one that I can get a decent deal on at the bike shop because I don't have enough money to drop on a bike right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts