Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am only asking, because I used to ride motorcycles, and spent a ludicrous amount of money on a helmet to protect my squash in the event I turned myself into road pizza. It's not hard to die on a motorcycle.

But do I really need to spend upwards of $150-200 on a helmet to ride a bike? I realize the same concept applies, but eating it at 15-20mph isn't going to be nearly as dangerous as 75-80mph or +.

For a novice/recreational rider, what's the big difference between a $60 Nutcase and a $250 Giro, REALLY?

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Am only asking, because I used to ride motorcycles, and spent a ludicrous amount of money on a helmet to protect my squash in the event I turned myself into road pizza. It's not hard to die on a motorcycle.

But do I really need to spend upwards of $150-200 on a helmet to ride a bike? I realize the same concept applies, but eating it at 15-20mph isn't going to be nearly as dangerous as 75-80mph or +.

For a novice/recreational rider, what's the big difference between a $60 Nutcase and a $250 Giro, REALLY?
Weight. Ventilation. Not really protection. Some studies show cheaper are safer.

The lowest priced Specialized helmet may be their safest.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Weight. Ventilation. Not really protection. Some studies show cheaper are safer.

The lowest priced Specialized helmet may be their safest.
Correct. More expensive helmets whether they are motorcycle or bicycle do not buy you more protection. All helmets must meet their particular saftey standards. All you are buying in mord expensive helmets is fit, ventilation, looks, etc.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
In your particular case, the Nutcase is probably going to be pretty unpleasant compared to the $250 Giro.

But a basic helmet with lots of vents for $65 would be relatively competitive with the Giro for comfort and just as good at protecting your head. Since they've been mentioned, that would be something like the Specialized Echelon.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Fit, comfort and even fashion are important when selecting your helmet. They don't all weight the same... but it's hard for me to feel a weight difference so small. They certainly don't all feel/fit the same ether and that I can easily tell.

You'll end up with a selection of jerseys and shorts... but often we wear the exact same helmet every time we ride. Be sure you get one that you like.

[BTW... I do have a larger feeling cheap MTN bike helmet I sometimes wear in winter that isn't well vented and I can baklava under]

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Ditto all of the above. I would add that you can find an expensive helmet that doesn't fit your head and a cheap one that does, so try before you buy.

FWIW, I log about 6k miles annually and have never paid above ~$100 for a helmet. As with most any product, look for sales....

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Ditto all of the above. I would add that you can find an expensive helmet that doesn't fit your head and a cheap one that does, so try before you buy.

FWIW, I log about 6k miles annually and have never paid above ~$100 for a helmet. As with most any product, look for sales....

Good point. I have a Specialized Echelon. My second. The first probably saved my life. But wanted something more fashionable and possibly more protective. Tried an Orbea. Could not get it on my head. Fortunately Amazon has a good return policy but I would not order a helmet online again.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I wouldn't pay over 100 bucks for a helmet. I have a Bell Array ($100 in Canada) and a 2012 Bell Volt that I just got on sale for $70. The Array I found had both good venting and light weight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any truth to the back bill extrusion or offset distance from the head creating more torque in the event of a crash? It seems like if you bounce your head that hard on the ground, it's going to hurt no matter WHAT you're wearing.

Those are the main reasons I was thinking of a Nutcase - low pro, no back bill. Plus, am kind of a geek and think those are fun. Wonder about ventilation in the summer, though.

I tried on a Lazer 02 and liked it - does anyone wear one of these? With only that tiny cable adjusting to the head, have to wonder if it gets uncomfortable after a while.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
[BTW... I do have a larger feeling cheap MTN bike helmet I sometimes wear in winter that isn't well vented and I can baklava under]
Wearing turkish pastry on your head helps how?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Is there any truth to the back bill extrusion or offset distance from the head creating more torque in the event of a crash? It seems like if you bounce your head that hard on the ground, it's going to hurt no matter WHAT you're wearing.

Those are the main reasons I was thinking of a Nutcase - low pro, no back bill. Plus, am kind of a geek and think those are fun. Wonder about ventilation in the summer, though.

I tried on a Lazer 02 and liked it - does anyone wear one of these? With only that tiny cable adjusting to the head, have to wonder if it gets uncomfortable after a while.
Awhile back I read that a more rounded helmet design does offer some advantages over the current 'styles'. Unfortunately, I've yet been able to find that site*.

That aside, I think you're over thinking the safety aspects. As was stated, all helmets have to meet certain CPSC/ SNELL standards, so all perform equally in that respect. Personally, in the crash I experienced, it wouldn't have much mattered WHAT specific helmet I was wearing, but that I was wearing one, mattered a LOT. Basically, it self destructed.

Can't help you with the Lazer question, but here's some info you may find useful:
Bicycle Helmet Standards

Found the page mentioned earlier:
Bicycle Helmets for the 2012 Season

Some good info here:
Helmets: Bicycle Helmets

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sure! The layers provide extra impact absorption and the syrup reduces friction between the helmet and the road.
Right. And if you feel a bonk coming on, there's a high-calorie snack right at hand.

I think he may have meant some kind of hat thing - "baccala" I think it's called.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I prefer a helmet I can balalaika under, but that's just me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have a larger feeling cheap MTN bike helmet I sometimes wear in winter that isn't well vented and I can baklava under
Baklava. As in layers.

I knew what he meant. Which is ironic, because I don't know much.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Awhile back I read that a more rounded helmet design does offer some advantages over the current 'styles'. Unfortunately, I've yet been able to find that site*.

That aside, I think you're over thinking the safety aspects. As was stated, all helmets have to meet certain CPSC/ SNELL standards, so all perform equally in that respect. Personally, in the crash I experienced, it wouldn't have much mattered WHAT specific helmet I was wearing, but that I was wearing one, mattered a LOT. Basically, it self destructed.

Can't help you with the Lazer question, but here's some info you may find useful:
Bicycle Helmet Standards

Found the page mentioned earlier:
Bicycle Helmets for the 2012 Season

Some good info here:
Helmets: Bicycle Helmets
I have read the same thing. Can't recall where and do not have time to search, but that was one of the reasons I was looking at the Orbea. Of course it does not help if it fits like a yamulke.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.