Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I haven't really posted much in the way of photos of my commute because I basically just don't find it all that inspiring. A lot of it is on four lane major highways and when I'm riding I usually have my head down and am praying the 18 wheelers four feet to my left aren't going to suck me under their wheels. But, over the past couple of days I've felt inspired to take some photos (probably too many) of the two different routes I normally follow to and from work. Going in to work I almost always ride U.S. Highway 395 and old U.S. 395 to work. It's just the quickest route there and I'm almost always running late. But, in the afternoons, depending on what my wife wants to do (she sometimes commutes home with me) I have several options.

The most common route I follow is the direct way there and back. It's not as difficult as my alternative anyway.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Standard Route

My standard route is just over 48 miles round trip. It helps me get my miles in each day. It's been pretty nasty though over the past few days as the smoke has been very, very heavy and I rode home today in 100 degree temps. . .but it's a dry heat :). After getting to work I'm able to leave all my crud in the corner of my cube and I try to drive in on Monday's to fully stock my little fridge I've hidden under my desk so I don't have to worry about food for the rest of the week.

My route back takes me around Washoe Lake and back along the highway into Reno. The evening traffic is quiet on around the Lake (make sure to get around it before seven when the barflys start leaving the local watering hole) but about a month ago I got to witness two dead people who had drunkenly driven off into a big ditch and were pitched out into the desert. They were not a pretty sight to say the least. :eek: Unfortunately the medics pronounced them dead at the scene. Anyway, it's actually a nice ride though. Once back into Reno I got to witness the wall of smoke coming in on the horizon. Going to be another stinky night.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Alternative Route

My alternative route is to ride from Carson City back to Reno via Virginia City Historical Town. Geiger Grade is a little tough in the heat but with three bottles or my camelback I'm normally all right. To get out of Carson though I have to ride along U.S. 50 for about 8 miles and that can be a little hairy. On the plus side I get to ride past all the cathouses. No pics this time, but next time I go by I'll ride over and show you all what Nevada has to offer :). Then it's up Highway 341 back to Reno. Lots of climbing and good desert ghost town scenery. I was lucky today and ran into a couple of riding friends who let me follow them up the grade. On the back side I got to ride into a wall of stinky, reddish smoke. It's beginning to turn into a bad habit :). The descent was through a fog like shroud of burnt California before I got back down to my home at the bottom of the grade.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Your Virginia is a lot nicer looking than my Virginia (not that there aren't nice parts of VA, but I love the mountains).

What an absolutely beautiful commute.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Ummmm, those are pretty nice commutes. When I do my combo car/bike commute, the bike portion is mostly through subdivisions. Quiet, but boring.

And MB1 is wrong, get Gunnar instead (same thing but cheaper).

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, 43mph. What p.o.ed me though was I took a second shot at 52mph and completely missed the computer because I was afraid to look down. The descent into Carson has a 10% or so grade that has good pavement. In the morning there's no wind and I'm not too afraid to take my hand off the bars for a second.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gym is across the street from my office. I leave a superheavy ulock and cable attached there on a permanent basis. One thing about living here though is that in the morning I'm leaving in temps in the 50's and just wear shorts and jersey. I'm shivering for most of the ride and don't sweat much. Even after all these years I'm always amazed that it can be 55F when I leave and 100F when I return. Crazy desert weather.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the trees burned down :(.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Riding in the winter here is suicide unless there hasn't been any snow. The highway between Reno and Carson is a pinball machine when snow and ice are present. :(. We still ride whenever possible though.

I'm not sure on the hours. Somewhere around 250 or more miles a week or so for me, but that's only been in the past four weeks. I'm still a lifetime behind MB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.