Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think if your riding a low end bike you should fear the guy riding a carbon bike with zipp wheels? I encountered one of these guys on the street and he passed me then I passed him and then well I think we figured it was time to race. He ended up beating me to the beach, but I suddenly became less afraid of high end equipment, because he only passed that telephone poll by a bike length. I think that is when I realized that it isn't the equipment, and it is much more about the guy riding. I was wondering if my thinking is partly wrong? Should I fear the rider or the machine? I know that the best equipment will make the best rider better, but how often do we see the real deal Giro de Italia guy?

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
After reading some of your recent posts my advice would be to worry about yourself. I'm trying to be nice here because I can sense a great deal of enthusiasm.

Your concerns about speed -- You are faster than some, some are faster than you. Find a group to ride with, measure yourself and your improvement against the group

Your concerns about equipment -- Yes, its the engine that drives the machine. Better equipment can make incremental differences, help you feel better longer, etc but you still have to climb on and turn the cranks. Also, no reason to hate nice stuff. You know if you were given 5k that you could only spend on a bike, you'd buy the $5k not the $1k bike.

Your concerns about training -- Lurk on the training board, these guys have been there, done that and are quite knowledgeable. You want to learn more, buy one of books they recommend.

Seriously, trying to help you out. Here's hoping your posts are the result of hyper-enthusiasm.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I can't say I've ever been afraid of guys on high end rigs. Everything being equal as far as physical ability, a guy on a higher end might beat you. But, ultimately it depends on the rider and not the bike. I sometimes lust over the more expensive rigs but my somewhat cheap Felt has often beat bikes three times its price. And then again, I've been beat by guys on a 500.00 sora rig with 2400 gram wheels. If I were you I wouldn't pay any attention to the bikes and a lot more on concentrating on becoming the strongest rider your body and abilities will allow you to be. Then you can go out and race past $5000.00 or more bikes all day long.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Look at his legs

If you can see the guys legs and his calf muscles are the size of small cantalopes then that's when I'm afraid. Bigga' is mo' betta'.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I learned early on not to make judgements about a rider's clothing or equipment. I rode for many years with a club that had a young guy that rode a 65 cm Varsity. He could beat most of the guys in the club. I've also seen guys on beautiful, laid out custom frames with nothing but the best components, that wouldn't / couldn't break 18 mph. Ya never know. It's the motor, not the looks.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
You are like one of them drivers who pays more attention to the cars behind them than what's going on in front... Just do yer own thing and ride instead of worrying about what other guy is ridin...

besides you just don't know how many inexpensive bikes the dude on the nice bike might've had to race before he got to you...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
The only riders you should be afraid of are the ones who can't ride a straight line, brake in a paceline, or swerve suddenly. Stay away from them.

There's no need to be afraid of riders who are faster than you are. No matter who you are, there will be someone who is faster.

BTW, unless you know that the other guy is racing with you, being competitive with people you meet on the road is kind of lame. We all do it sometimes, but that doesn't make it any less lame.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Yeah, what someone else said : "If you both don't know it's a race, it's not a race."

Seriously, if you want to race, GO RACE.

Randomly riding a little faster or slower than someone on the road who you haven't met means zero. If you want a little race with someone you've just met, then ride with him or her a bit, exchange pleasantries, and if you both feel up to it say "sprint you for that sign" or "race you to the top of this climb..."

I'll venture out there and say that no one who is actually fast trains on their Zipp wheels though, (unless they are disgustingly rich).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
you should never be afraid.
Money buys bling not legs.

5k can buy a few lbs lighter off the bike but a good diet can as well.
its fun dusting guys in fancy rigs (funny when they have a triple)

its 95% motor, 5% bike
the diffrence of 3k in upgrades will probably buy you 10% of that 5%
which would be what, .5 %
i'd venture you'd gain more by a good trip to the can before the ride.

keep it tuned up and the rest is up to you.

its easy to blame a bike, hard to accecpt responsibility.

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I think that is when I realized that it isn't the equipment, and it is much more about the guy riding. I was wondering if my thinking is partly wrong? Should I fear the rider or the machine? I know that the best equipment will make the best rider better, but how often do we see the real deal Giro de Italia guy?
Around where I live there is a mountain pass and every once in a while you might come across some skinny old guy with white hair who smiles at you politely and looks you up and down.

Then he might say to you - with a French accent - something like "you're young, wanna ride to the tunnel at the top?" And you look him up and down figuring "I can beat this old man, no problem".

On the climb he proceeds to rip out your lungs, plucks your legs off one by one, munching the meat off your thighs and sucking the marrow out of your bones. As you gasp your way to the top you realize this guy musta been a pro rider in Europe in his youth.

Don't bother looking at bikes. Fear old skinny men with wiry legs and French accents. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
its not the bling, but sometimes it is

I've seen guys stall their ferrari trying to get it into gear. same is true on bikes. looking fast and going fast are different things. I can still remember psyching myself out at high school ski races when I would see my starting opponent on brand new top end gear. I always assumed that for this reason alone he was better than I was. I was a kid who did not know any better. quite a few years later, I do know better. I also know that some of the guys on the best gear are very fast

il sogno said:
Around where I live there is a mountain pass and every once in a while you might come across some skinny old guy with white hair who smiles at you politely and looks you up and down.

Then he might say to you - with a French accent - something like "you're young, wanna ride to the tunnel at the top?" And you look him up and down figuring "I can beat this old man, no problem".

On the climb he proceeds to rip out your lungs, plucks your legs off one by one, munching the meat off your thighs and sucking the marrow out of your bones. As you gasp your way to the top you realize this guy musta been a pro rider in Europe in his youth.

Don't bother looking at bikes. Fear old skinny men with wiry legs and French accents. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
il sogno said:
OK. Could you please tell me how to aquire a French accent? :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It's easy

Mr. Versatile said:
OK. Could you please tell me how to aquire a French accent? :D
No problem. It's time for a Pink Panther marathon (Peter Sellers version), starting with "A Shot in the Dark." You'll be talkin' Frenchy in no time.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
nmnmnm

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
No problem. It's time for a Pink Panther marathon (Peter Sellers version), starting with "A Shot in the Dark." You'll be talkin' Frenchy in no time.
Sacre Bleu! Kerry Irons just made a joke! :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
il sogno said:

eery that you say this... a few years ago when i JUST started road biking (quitting running because of a blown ankle) I was about 30 min into a ride, I was drinking some water, and this old guy on a early 80's colnago (I had at the time a late 80's Fuji Ace) came out of nowhere... Come to find out he was 65, I was 20! I kept up with him, although when I got home, I puked my brains out. Thus I learned my lesson, the next time I ride with him, I'll be prepared! :)

Anyways, never fear equiptment, fear not being in shape or 'ready' for what your about to take on. In high school I tried breaking the 1:59 800m record in track, I was close to it, but I missed it having the worst season of my life spraining my ancle, but the next year in college, I ran faster than I ever did in high school (4:30 mile). I never bought the best Nike running shoes, I ran twice a day 6 days a week. Thats what made me better. Not the equiptment.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I saw an old guy on an old bike with fenders and rack, real crappy, he was wearing ordinary shorts and t-shirt and sneakers but his calves were really lean and muscled. Anyway I met him at some trafficlightsand when we reached a stretch of really bad pavement he tore into the headwind at 30mph and kept it at that pace. It was an education. :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts