Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been commuting on tubulars, for no good reason, other than "because." These are just some basic wheels on a fixed gear. I have noticed the rear is all cut up, has debris embedded, etc. Part of why I do not mind commuting with them is that it is no big deal to toss an extra tire in my work bag. They are sealed with Tufo, and have been extraordinarily reliable.

It seems most people use tubulars to race, and they end up replacing well before the reach the end of their usable life--- but what about daily riders? Commuters? I haven't a clue how many miles I have on them--- and I rode on them much of the winter, so they are quite trashed.

Part of my concern is that I have always dealt with them in my bike room--- never on the road.

Any horror stories about commuting on them that should prompt me to change them sooner than later?

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I replace them when I find a sweet deal on cheap, nearly new tubulars. Or when I start to question the glue job every time I hit a corner.

I try to at least re-glue them at the beginning of every season, I generally change the tire then because of I'm going to be gluing anyways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.