Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally without warning. John came to my office around 5:30, just beating what we figured was going to be a big thunderstorm. Barely 20min later or so, he's helping to close windows as a gust of wind like we've never experienced before slams into the building. Co-workers milled about the building after it was over, seeing the other half of the office ruined, trees gone, cars crushed- how to get home? Trains weren't running. Seems like most people walked.

We drove gingerly through the ruined park, John getting out to move trees out of the way, or directing me over the lawn to get around them....

(more later)

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
That was a wicked storm. And the NWS won't declare it a "tornado" without "more proof."

At least that's what I'm told.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Yikes, no tornados out here thankfully. Glad you're all right!

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
It looked scary. I'm glad you and John are okay.

FWIW, we had straight line winds a few years ago in downtown Indianapolis (where I lived at the time) that caused damage very similar to a tornado. Most of the damage was to my old office building. In fact, my former office was basically blown to bits.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yep I had my office destroyed by a microburst one time... they are just as nasty as a tornado.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The first thing I thought of when I heard the news was you and your new home. Glad you 2 are OK...the rest is just "stuff".

Len

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
might have been a bow echo. we had one earlier this year and it was frightening. calm and still one minutes and then BAM! super high winds for over 30 minutes.

microbursts aint fun, either.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Didn't realize exactly where you guys were, but glad to hear you're OK. We had one about five years ago, quite a way to start the day...

Same story, I remember there was a chance of thunderstorms predicted that night and we were out late since it was on the 4th of July. A few hours later it sounded like we were in the U.P. with all the chainsaws.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first tornado barreled through the Park Slope section Brooklyn at 5:33 p.m. with winds up to 80 mph, the National Weather Service reported. The second hit Queens at 5:42 p.m. It went from 4 miles from Flushing to a mile north of Bayside, with winds as high as 100 mph.

This tornado was the one that led to the death of Aline Levakis, the Pennsylvania woman who was killed after a tree fell on her car in Queens.

So it's official! Last thing we expected. No internet at home yet, so I'm posting now and then.....

I was kinda frozen next to my desk as it hit, getting ready to duck under if need be, but also anxious to get John away from the windows! Weird how "tornado" never entered my mind- even with the warnings and watches, never happens (except that one time in Brooklyn, maybe even once before in the Bronx, but those are a freak thing.)

In fact, none of our families even called to check on us. Only my father seemed aware that there were severe weather warnings, but he dismissed them b/c "they never really happen."

Anyway, house is fine. Giant maple didn't crush the block- still standing. But I almost drove into some powerlines in front of the house- the pine tree next door snapped like a twig, landing on one of the main power lines in front of their house (better than hitting the house!) taking out the entire neighborhood. High voltage lines were everywhere, dangling in front of the driveway, so I parked around the corner and just had to be extra careful avoiding them.....

Didn't go to work the next day, as ConEd would yell at us anytime we ventured near the street. Both ends of the block were blocked off by their trucks; neighbors were out in the dark, doing their best to divert traffic with flashlights, as you just couldn't tell which streets would be totally blocked by trees or wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts