Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it...

I just moved to the Santa Barbara area from San Francisco about two weeks ago and have been commuting to and from work by bicycle. I might add that my job has also has to do with bikes, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. In San Francisco, it seemed common for a fellow cyclist no matter how indulged in paraphernalia or not, to acknowledge another; could be a simple smile, nod of the head or friendly wave, but acknowledge one another.

My first ride here, I was in a pair of baggy shorts and a t shirt, just cruising around and got nothing but dirty looks; the next day with a team kit on was a different story...every Santa Barbara cyclist also wearing a team kit gave me all the acknowledgment I desired...like oh, hey, another cyclist, what's up! For my first day of work, I chose a kit and grabbed my backpack of food and change of clothes. Out came the dirty looks...as if to say, who told you you could wear a backpack while cycling...that is unacceptable.

WTF? I have been given so much hell for wearing a backpack while road biking. Whats wrong with that. I am decreasing my carbon footprint and conveniently blending commute time with training time...seems as though I am the smarter ones

I am sick of your Ego Santa Barbara!

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
You can fight the status quo,
or you can play with their minds.

Next time out wear your kit jersey and baggy shorts,
next ride wear a button down collar short sleeved shirt with your cycling shorts,
next wear a full kit but with over the calf argyle socks,
next wear a medium loose polo shirt and MTB/commuter shorts with a cowboy hat,
next go back to full kit but wear cowboy roper boots rigged up with cleats mated to a pair of CrankBros Eggbeaters,
next wear a suit and tie and dress shoes with the right pants leg rolled up.

Be creative, play with their minds, will be more fun for you.

Me? I don't really care what others think, I just do what works for me.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
ha, i though this was a topic about respect from autos...

roadies like to look down their nose.

yesterday i'm heading back to the office from the job site. 80 deg, long pants, back pack and steel toed boots. On my CX bike too...

This guy in his CSC kit pretty much killed himself to try not to get passed by me. It was quite comical. Didn't mean to challenge his manhood by passing in my stealth 'fred' atire. But hey, i've got some follow up to get done in the office!

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I think you're projecting, at least somewhat.

I commute nearly every day, sometimes in baggies, sometime in knickers, sometimes in spandex, sometimes in Carhardts, cometimes on a Gios, sometimes on a fixie, sometimes on a 29er, sometimes with a rack, sometimes in the cold, and sometimes in the heat.

I can't say that anyone, driver or cyclist, cares. Even when I drive and see a cyclist, I on;y think about them for a minute or two at most, without judging. If I think they care, I'm pretty sure that's just what I'm projecting onto them.

· Banned
2,243 Posts
After I get all my bike clothes on, tighten my shoes, and fill my water bottles, the last thing I do before I go out on a ride is go over my checklist to see which of my emotional needs I'm going to impose on other cyclists that day.

I really don't understand why other cyclists don't try their best to make me happy.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
My personal answer is "Who the hell cares!".

The only respect I desire is just enough from the cars so I don't get killed. If I don't get waved at, smiled at, or even if they make faces. . .what does it matter to me?

My backpack is bright orange by the way. I look like a tangerine from the back and a lime from the front. I'm a rolling citrus drink.

· Banned
2,243 Posts
When will right handed La Sportiva trail running shoe wearers get respect?

I want to know why, when I'm out for a walk, other right handed people wearing La Sportiva trail running shoes don't wave or acknowledge other right handed people wearing La Sportiva trail running shoes in this town!

Dang! People suck!

· Registered
14,776 Posts
When Attitudes Collide

I can't add much to what's been said here. Just try to lighten up and not worry about it so much, Myles. I doubt that every "dirty look" is really freighted with all of those subliminible messages you're picking up. Smile at who you want to. If some don't smile back, who knows why? Not your problem unless you make it your problem.

· Registered
21 Posts
Henry V said:
What's so important about you that deserves acknowledgement?
He's in the bike business, wink wink-nudge nudge:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you are worried about this enough to start a thread about it, you need to sell your bikes and buy a bigass gas guzzling hummer H1. You are entirely too shallow to fit in with other fellow bicyclists that are just out there to enjoy riding a bike.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.