Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am having deep thoughts about buying a R3 after interbike. The r3 has been and is an amazing bike from everything I have read and seen. The only drawback if you can call it that, is that is is a design that is nearly 3 years old. Was the initial design that good that they do not need to update it? Are the big 3-4 bike manufacturers (Trek,Specialized,Giant and Cannondale) have that bad of bike designers that they have to revamp their lineup yearly... The only thing that Cervelo has done is make the bike lighter. That a good thing but it also makes the bike lots more expensive. Thanks for any replies guys..

· The Edge
205 Posts
Cervelo will update it when they can make it better. Alot of the updates from other manufacturers are just cosmetic.

The R3 really is that good. Remember, they didn't significantly update the Madone for 5 years either.

Cervelo makes a point about making good frames, not just new ones.

· Registered
595 Posts
a model called S3 is rumored to be on the works for release sometime in 2009. it will be the front triangle of the soloist and the rear of the R3. it is said to be the perfect balance. that is all i know from a very reliable source.

· Registered
73 Posts
I've heard from a very reliable source, namely my LBS that the entire line will be revamped in the following way:
1) SLC's and SLC-SL's will be named in this S1, S2 format
2) the SLC/SLC-SL geometry will stay the same in the front, and the rear triangle has a slight change to it, more aero but he couldnt explain how
3) this SLC/SLC-SL or S1/S2 will be lighter, not sure how or by how much
4) there will be no more R3, only an R3-SL or whatever its called
5) the SL models will have paint, no more clear coat over carbon
6) as expected, everything will get more expensive, in part due to the value or lack there of, of the US dollar.

That's what I know so far. Expect in September/November. Guy told me if I told the owner of the store, he'd get fired. Oh well.

· extremely biased
874 Posts
mobileops said:
I've heard from a very reliable source, namely my LBS that the entire line will be revamped in the following way:
1) SLC's and SLC-SL's will be named in this S1, S2 format
2) the SLC/SLC-SL geometry will stay the same in the front, and the rear triangle has a slight change to it, more aero but he couldnt explain how
3) this SLC/SLC-SL or S1/S2 will be lighter, not sure how or by how much
4) there will be no more R3, only an R3-SL or whatever its called
5) the SL models will have paint, no more clear coat over carbon
6) as expected, everything will get more expensive, in part due to the value or lack there of, of the US dollar.

That's what I know so far. Expect in September/November. Guy told me if I told the owner of the store, he'd get fired. Oh well.
Oh man,

your not even close.

The R3 will get an update when they can make it better. They don't have a problem selling it as it is.

Starnut

· Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
I don't mind they are not changing the design of the bike. But I do want to see a different color for the Soloist Carbon. The only thing that's holding me back from getting the Soloist Carbon, and entertaining the idea of spending an extra $1500 for the SLC-SL instead, is the color.

If and when the Soloist Carbon comes out in this color! I will be all over it

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Guy's pulling your leg. Gerard Vroomen posts over at slowtwitch occasionally and the only time they update is when they've made a significant improvement. Totally rejiggering the naming scheme seems really out of character for the company.

· Registered
73 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize STARNUT was on the product development team for Cervelo. What was I thinking to suggest info coming from him would be absolute, and from me just be "way off"

The authtorized dealers get this info in advance, they know what's gonna be out there, at least some of them do.

I heard theyre taking down the R3 because the R3-SL will be the feature bike in that category. They're not changing the geometry, they're just not gonna sell 2 bikes with 100 gr difference between the two. Can't say I blame them, sorta stupid to have an R3-Sl for an extra $800 when the difference is 100gr. There are better ways to loose the weight if stiffness isn't improved.

I'm also thinking veloci1 and I have heard about this new similiar naming scheme from different places, which makes me think I'm not so way off.

November is right around the corner, too bad you can't really say "I told you so" on a forum....

JB

· Registered
185 Posts
As far as color for the Soloist is concerned, just buy the regular soloist ($2800 msrp) send it to Hotubes for a repaint ( $500 I think) and you are still have $1200 left over compared to the SLC-SL ($4500). Theses 2 bikes are roughly only about 120grams +- apart and I can't see anyone buying this frameset for a WW build anyways.

Just my $.02

John

· Registered
73 Posts
I agree with them needing a new color scheme. the SLC to SLC-SL jump does seem to be more than just color, in my opinion. 200gr weight, and the stiffness factor, justifiable to some. How you can justify $800 on 100gr without a change in stiffness, I'm not sure. Especially when the white set up with record is so hot.

JB

· extremely biased
874 Posts
Dude........................

I AM an authorized Cervelo dealer...................... I went to the BrainBike meeting in Colorado this month, I didn't see you there......................... I saw the 2009 line........................ Did you?

Don't be such a twit..................

Starnut

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I heard that the graphics will be changing from white to silver on the SL versions.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.