Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following a recent auction on eBay for a brand new white SuperSix frameset. The buyer had a “Buy It Now” price of $2200, but sold the frame for a “Best Offer” of only $400. What an incredible deal for the buyer. How could a frameset that retails for $2900 and is in perfect condition fetch only $400? Similar frames usually sell for about $1500+. Then I read the seller’s answer to a question asked by a prospective buyer and figured what had happened. A prospective buyer from the Netherlands complained about the high duties changed by his country and asked whether the seller would ship with a low value to avoid these duties. The seller replied, “I will always ship with a low value to my international customers. Just tell me what amount to declare.” This obviously explains the low “Best Offer” that was accepted by the seller. Who know what money actually changed hands behind the scenes outside the eBay transaction. My guess is that the seller got his $2200. I don’t understand why the seller chose to display the buyer’s question and his answer. Conspiring to avoiding custom’s duty is a crime. (eBay may also have something to say about how this transaction went down). My point is if you decide to engage in this type of behavior, don’t document it for all to see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.