Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you ride with a partner, for some distance (road trip), what is the easiest way to communicate with him/her? Specifically, to know if she/he had to stop..., to monitor her/his position...

Is there "tracking" software that everyone uses?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you ride with a partner, for some distance (road trip), what is the easiest way to communicate with him/her? Specifically, to know if she/he had to stop..., to monitor her/his position...

Is there "tracking" software that everyone uses?
Ride at the same pace and if you are out in front, look back occasionally. Wait and re-group if you get separated. If she's faster than you and can't tolerate riding at your pace, agree on a place to regroup. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When we had a larger group with varying fitness levels, we would always have someone stay behind at forks in the road or turn-off points just to ensure no one gets lost. So basically one just has to keep going straight until he regroups with someone else and/or others.

...but as others said, if it's one other person, I would actually ride with them;-)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Smell.

Reactions: jason124

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I suspect you ride in the mountains or else you wouldn't be asking (you'd pace line).

We stop about 100 yards past the top and bottom of every climb/descent and make sure everybody is in. Some areas have pretty good cell service (Dolomites Italy, for example) and you can text if you have a problem. Obviously, if your climb is not a pass, you'll wait at the top.

If you are riding with others who are not self sufficient, agree to stop and wait every 15 minutes or at every potential route change if you are leading.
Ride at the same pace and if you are out in front, look back occasionally. Wait and re-group if you get separated. If she's faster than you and can't tolerate riding at your pace, agree on a place too regroup. It's not that hard.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
I did a lot of touring with friends back in the 80s when we had no cell phones. We would agree to meet up at particular spots (intersections, parks, town limit signs, etc). The first to arrive at those points would wait for the others, then we would continue when we all were together.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Low tech. I use a Take-a-look mirror. If they fade from view for awhile, I'll stop or circle back.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We always ride the same pace and slow down if somebody falls off.

On hills we stop at the top and regroup.

I had a buddy who for the past 2 years has on occasion decided the pace was too slow and would take off up the road then wait. I got pretty annoyed as the whole point is to ride WITH someone. I'm slowly getting the message across that I'm not riding with him anymore.

·
Banned
748 Posts
On group rides we designate the group stops/locations and a sweeper to help anyone in trouble. If riding with a friend and they or you want to blaze a head,, no problem, just agree on stops.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
2 people... pre-discussed waiting points, and lots of backtracking if you are the more advanced rider. And don't run off solo if your partner doesn't want you to and even then not too often unless that's already an expectation for that given ride.

More than 2 people... pre-discussed waiting points, lots of backtracking, and more advanced riders need to take turns hanging back and there should always be somebody doing that.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
CB radios.

Hey rubber ducky, what's your 10-20, come on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts