·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it mess with your head?

·
Proud luddite
7,235 Posts
I've gotten smoked a couple times by an old guy but he wears a state champion jersey so I don't feel so bad.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not at all, I feel like I have a chance as I get older to maintain and build on an activity that is good for me, doesn't feel like work and brings me immense pleasure. Kibbutz off to any one that doesn't fall into the American culture of couch Olympics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am well into my elder years. My riding partners are half my age or younger. Most of them I have encouraged to get into biking. They all have a good attitude. They say that they hope they can keep riding as long as I have. We have fun together. My handle burobaaje is Nepali for "old grandfather". I tell it like it is.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Being an old coot myself and the group turtle, I appreciate the work these older guys put into the sport to be able to pass me. A lot of our retired guys are riding most every day and I look forward to the days when I too am unencumbered by employment and can ride with them.. Now when the older ladies pass me It does mess with my head but they too are doing the work..

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm in my late forties and faster than when I was last year and the year before...

With the exception of dedicated racers, "old guys" are very often the faster guys on club rides. Very few people in their 20s are in any type of routine. 30-somethings are smack in the middle of careers - with bosses who have bosses, growing families with little kids... By 40, most people have control of their schedule. Kids are getting themselves out of bed, to school, etc. Weekends are more (not totally) free of running kids around, etc. And, we know that strong cyclists put in miles on a regular basis. It's just a whole lot easier now, than 10 or 15 years ago.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
possible new teammate so no

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why I oughta....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm 68y/o (69 next month) and I just wish there were some guys around my age group to ride with. If I caught up to somebody I would probably not pass them as it would be rare if I did not know them. The last time somebody caught up to me it was just somebody I know and we rode about 30 miles together. There are only about 30 of us riding in the county.

I do not go on the LBS rides any longer because the owner started shoulder butting me and knocked me off the road. I am to old to risk falling so I dropped out of the group rides for safety. Without the group rides I will not have an opportunity to pass or be passed very often.

However a fit 30 y/o cyclist is not going to be passed by me in a performance type situation.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
My husband doesn't believe in road-riding as training for mtb races. His idea of "training" involves an extra half lap around the local bike trail, or an extra ride on a tough trail upstate :rolleyes:

Never DNF'ed until I met him (as far as I can recall). We'd enter a race, and I'd remind him that we had no business trying to finish w/o some mileage beforehand. He didn't care, for him it's just fun.

Last time we did my favorite race, I was being passed by the older folks, and the beginners, then the old beginners, then the tandems, then the Clydes........then the old beginner Clydes on tandems.......

For me, that's not fun. These races are tough, but I can at least enjoy them with proper training. My goal is to not be DFL, which is still better than DNF, but still....

Otherwise, if I'm just riding locally, anybody who passes my fat lazy a$$ probably deserves to.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
what is this 'being passed' action that you speak of...?
It's when some guy sees you up ahead going at a good clip. He's not closing in on you like the others, going, "WTF? How come I'm not closing on this guy?" So his goal becomes catching you at all costs. He's the hunter and you're the game. He'll always pass you just to prove to himself he did it, then frequently, since he's by now pretty tired out, he'll get a half block ahead and then slow down. This of course leaves open the possibility you can reverse roles and start chasing him. And both of you can go cat and mouse for as long as you're up to it. Great training!

Some riders hate being passed, all the worse if they're working hard. It's entirely understandable! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
what is this 'being passed' action that you speak of...?

I think for some everything is a race at all times. A unilateral race is not a race.

However if your talking about a club ride and it's a fast pace and you drop everyone or get dropped then that could bring about an emotional response of some degree.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Older, younger, thinner, fatter, same gender, different gender. What difference does it make? There's always been somebody faster than me, and always will be. I don't ride to show off or judge myself by comparison to someone else who randomly happens to be there. I ride to have fun, get a good workout, stay in shape.

I'm one of those "elders" I guess (66), but I probably couldn't pass you if you were trying to prevent it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts