Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these bikes and wanted to know how I can go about getting fitted in one of them.

I've been reading around and some people wrote that they had the actual frame builder do it for them. I don't know about you, but I found that amazing that he would take personal requests.

I'm looking at specifically, these color-schemes.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Lots of frame builders "take custom requests" There are probably 10 within a decent drive from your house who don't have Italian names and super-long waiting lists, but build up a fine frame just as well if not better.

Anyway, you can't have a Pegoretti. It's invitation only, and if you ask, you are forever denied. Sorry.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
rkdvsm said:
I saw these bikes and wanted to know how I can go about getting fitted in one of them.

I've been reading around and some people wrote that they had the actual frame builder do it for them. I don't know about you, but I found that amazing that he would take personal requests.

I'm looking at specifically, these color-schemes.
that is pretty...do they just chrome the one stay?

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
that is pretty...do they just chrome the one stay?

typically they dip all stays, then paint over the SS and/or left side, and leave the right side and d/os... as looks to be done in this case

· Registered
44 Posts
Where are you located? Is there a pro bike shop in your area with a sizing cycle and an account with GITA? If not, plan a trip to San Franciso, call ahead to Above Category or Montano Velo and schedule a fit. They know Pegoretti's and the order process as well or better than anyone, and both shops have excellent standards of bike builds and service.

It is tough to fit a bike "online" and not in person. A couple of years ago I bought a Pegoretti Marcelo from a local shop without doing a proper fitting. I went off of some online sites ideas of the right size for me based on about 10 different measurements. It turns out that I got a size smaller than was appropriate. I loved the frame but it never fit quite right, I was convinced that I needed custom geometry. Recently I went through a fitting process to figure out the precisely appropriate angles and tube lengths to fit me . . . it turned out that my "custom order" would have been the same as a Pegoretti stock geometry in a size 1 cm larger than the bike I originally purchased. I was able to get the correct size in less than a week . . . it is perfect! Interestingly it is nearly identical in dimensions to a Scapin that was built for me in 1986 . . . the head tube of my Marcelo is taller and the tube diameters are wider, but the fit is the same . . . perfect! The ride is even better . . . more perfecter ;-)

Custom paint and geometry takes longer.

Enjoy your ride . . .

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Wheel Right said:
(snip}
Interestingly it is nearly identical in dimensions to a Scapin that was built for me in 1986 . . . the head tube of my Marcelo is taller and the tube diameters are wider, but the fit is the same . . . perfect! The ride is even better . . . more perfecter ;-)

Custom paint and geometry takes longer.

Enjoy your ride . . .
Hi,
Could you elaborate more specifically on your Marcelo v. Scapin comparison?

Which Scapin model was it?

I have a Kish Ti and a Marcelo, which I both love, but I have been seriously considering buying a Scapin (Style or Dyesys 8 \, unless I find a slightly older model for less $$) this summer. Granted, 1986 (yours) to 2008 is light years, but I would still be interested in hearing your Pego Marcelo vs. Scapin impressions.

I feel that Scapins are some of the most beautiful, elegant, meticulous, underrrated frames on the market today...but I have never ridden one: this is simply pure gut reaction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.