Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In southern Ontario, gasoline now sells for $1.25 a litre, the equivalent of $5 a U.S.gallon - that's five bucks a gallon.
I used to cycle a long way into work for office bragging rights as well as for the conditioning and one small gesture for better air quality. But now there's a bigger incentive: to try and make a tank of gas last two weeks. And it would seem I'm not alone. There have been reports that bicycle shops in the Toronto area are turning away business because of a rush on sales and tuneups, as sticker shock at the pumps moves people to look for alternatives.
And, yet, it's still pretty lonely out there on the cycle commute: I'm still lost in a sea of cars; I pass, or get passed by, just a handful of cyclists over a 15-mile ride. Guess we really are addicted to our cars, expensive gas be damned.
What will it take?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
For most people, it's too hard to ride a bike more than around the block, more than once a week.
As gas prices go up, people spend more time in front of the TV. (if that's possible)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I've noticed the same thing in NC. Although local TV and newspapers have run articles about bike commuting and increases in bike sales, I'm not seeing anyone else commuting on my route. Several people have talked to me about it, though. Maybe some of them will venture out during Bike to Work Week.

G

·
bigbri said:
In southern Ontario, gasoline now sells for $1.25 a litre, the equivalent of $5 a U.S.gallon - that's five bucks a gallon.
I used to cycle a long way into work for office bragging rights as well as for the conditioning and one small gesture for better air quality. But now there's a bigger incentive: to try and make a tank of gas last two weeks. And it would seem I'm not alone. There have been reports that bicycle shops in the Toronto area are turning away business because of a rush on sales and tuneups, as sticker shock at the pumps moves people to look for alternatives.
And, yet, it's still pretty lonely out there on the cycle commute: I'm still lost in a sea of cars; I pass, or get passed by, just a handful of cyclists over a 15-mile ride. Guess we really are addicted to our cars, expensive gas be damned.
What will it take?
I laugh at people in Ontario complaining about the cost of gas.

I just paid $1.42 per litre and I live a LOT closer to the actual oil than anyone in Ontario.

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
Yep, I've seen an uptick in ridership, so much so that...

...one of the local TV stations "reported" on it. I fully expect that we will see a rash of cycling-related injury reports, as "new" riders hone their skills on the street, which as you know can be a very unforgiving place even for a seasoned cyclist.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In Europe gasoline is more like $ 8-9 per gallon. People over there are usually drive more fuel efficient cars, no fat as* gas gussling trucks and SUVs like they do here in the USA. :mad2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
On the days I ride the bike to work, I'm lucky if I see one other commuter. Maybe it's the early hour (6:00 AM) that I leave, or the fact that I'm an exception in the area that I live and don't have a high six figure or seven figure salary to be able to fill up my gas guzzling Hummer, Yukon, Escalade or Maserati or Lamborghini to drive to the train station for my trip into NYC. Most people who you see at the gas station are paying with plastic and not cash, are they all using debit cards, or credit cards, one wonders why the countries economy is in shambles when most people have to overextend themselves with credit cards just to get the basic necessities. I'm not saying gas for the car is a basic necessity, unless it's the only way to get to work. At least the option of riding my bike is available to help keep my familys gas bill manageable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most people don't care

Where I am, the price of gas does not phase most people. They are making a good buck and would never seek alternative methods of transport. I've been predicting they might take notice when gas gets to $10-$15 range.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
Right around a thousand people work at my office. Other than me, I know of 2 others that commute regularly, and one of them is a starving college intern without a car. There are three more who commute occasionally. So being generous, 6 out of a 1000. Everyone complains about gas and being out of shape and overweight, yet I am the "crazy guy" who rides rain or shine. To be fair, the winters here make it tough to commute by bike, but 8 to 9 months out of the year its really not a problem.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
With a few exceptions, how and where people conduct their lives in North America is completely linked to the buying, licensing, maintaining and use of an automobile. To think that bicycle commuting will ever become the norm in such an environment is akin to thinking that birds will dive into the sea and start swimming to their destinations instead of flying. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
wim said:
With a few exceptions, how and where people conduct their lives in North America is completely linked to the buying, licensing, maintaining and use of an automobile. To think that bicycle commuting will ever become the norm in such an environment is akin to thinking that birds will dive into the sea and start swimming to their destinations instead of flying. :D
++++++++1

The US as we see it today is totally built around the automobile. Many of today's retirees and soon-to-be retirees are counting on the auto industry to pay their way of life for the rest of their lives! Cars are everything. I don't foresee a day when bicycles dominate the world. Even if gas was 20 bucks a gallon we'd still be driving, and perhaps just as much! The cars would be different, and habits might change, but cars are here to stay. But cycling has always been an alternative, and many more might start to use it, not for economic reasons only, but for environmental reasons. I like to think when I bike commute that others can see it and wish they could. Maybe it inspires someone else to. Most likely, it just pisses 'em off and they wish they could run me over.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Capt. Z said:
In Europe gasoline is more like $ 8-9 per gallon. People over there are usually drive more fuel efficient cars, no fat as* gas gussling trucks and SUVs like they do here in the USA. :mad2:
They pay $9 a gallon; technically, though, they pay $7 a gallon because they pay a $2 tax that is included in the price.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
wim said:
Wow this could not have been better illustrated by the lunch I just went to with my co-workers. The discussion got to alternate forms of transportation, because everyone is feeling the gas price pinch. The options discussed consisted of carpooling, buses, and motorcycles. I said something about cycling, it got a few chuckles, then back to the idea of carpooling. Cycling is just not even a remote possibility for these people. I'm not saying cycling is the only answer; carpooling and other options are good too, its just that its seems to be a NON answer for almost everyone I know.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
3.8 % of Commuters in Vancouver

apparently cycle to work:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/....html?id=c9d4ccd4-de55-4faa-ad00-19e24f595420

I have certainly noticed an increase over the last little while. I see lots of cyclists on my commute and have really noticed an increase in the number of bikes parked outside the bars and restaurants in my neighbourhood.

The numbers are much less in the suburbs though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.