Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Michael Rasmussen-Training for the TDF. The team has to push him into the Giro, and even that is ONLY a training race. He has no obligation to work for anybody, no obligation to make any effort to get any result. He has no aspirations other than using it to get fit enough for the Tour. Seems like the Tour ill suits him and this year's Giro is perfect for him. Maybe he's young enough so he thinks setting the KOM jersey record his career aspiration.
2. Robbie McEwen- Milan-San Remo and Gent-Wevelgem were the only big spring races he was scheduled for up to now. I'm not even sure if he actually participated in them. He's starting the Tour of Romandie (which in all likelyhood will amount to just a single day's racing for him) and then all three GT's.

Boy, talk about "free reign".

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I coulda swore Rasmussen is in his 30s already. I think last year was a freak year. Someone else will wear the polka dot jersey this year.

As for McEwen, it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't race much so far. It's not like he has 3 or 4 years of being a top sprinter left.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Rasmussen is an interesting case. Exceptional climbing ability, but it's hard to comprehend that a former mountain biker doesn't have far better all-rounder skills (especially bike handling) than he demonstrated last year. Seems he'd be better off going for the Giro given his strengths and weaknesses.

As for Robbie Mac, well, he got a win today and he's a butthead in more ways than one.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
news

Mcewen had broken ribs and was recovering. Can't really race on busted ribcage.he says he's well now and took his first sprint back (Romandie)
Rasmussen will be fine. Last year wasn't a freak, kid has been mixing it up in the mtns for a couple years with the best. he just got smart last year and intentionally lost some GC time so he could go after the KOM. When he lost time, he knew he could go on a break and not get chased down by the peloton. His high GC was a bit freakish but was more due to everyone elses inability to climb and his ability to finish every mtn stage in the high placings. Whereas Virenque would lose 20 minutes after his big KOM day, Michael was in the mix everyday and because of the ability to stick with LA he became a threat to jan. His TT issues had nothing to do with his bike handling. He was under intense stress to try to (near impossible) hold his gap on Jan. He had to go balls out and have the perftect TT, he took some chances, wrecked and the first crash caused an absolute mental crash which caused the others. he cracked from the pressure and it cascaded downward from there.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Virenque

post dope would make one attack get enough points on KOM to defend the rest of the way and lose 20 minutes the following day. he was an embarrasment to the KOM jersey, at least Van Impe had the grace to retire when he tied the record. Virenque broke it in the most lame, embarrasing manner. (Again post dope) That guy was 10x worse for the KOM than LA ever was for the MJ.
Bianchi Girl with all your anti doping chatter here, I can't believe you'd bring up ole Virenque. Now we don't know for a fact about Rasmussen but WE DO know about ole Richard.

Amazing that folks can be so vehement against 'suspected' dopers yet defend convicted
ones. (not addressed at you B-Girl)

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
why of course

and though I think his ejection from the '69 Giro was a fraud I'm not convinced eddy was clean either. Ocana did KOM and GC as well. All I was saying about rasmussen was he kinda lucked into GC. That's the anomaly now, he needed to lose time to pursue the polka dot. If you look at his other TdF's though he was right in the mix. He dragged Jan up the Pyrennes in one stage in 04 yes?
He is 32, he won the 04 KOM in the Dauphine, has a Tour and Vuelta stage. I just don't see him as a blip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.