Registered
1,039 Posts
EBAY, every single one of them...

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Known origin

skizzle86 said:
This may be a repost if so my bad. Good information on the true origin of your bike frame.
Mine was made in Chatanooga Tennesee. IMO, people who worry too much about where their frame was made should not buy appliances, cars, computers, phones, televisions, etc.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Tough to be a "localvore" with bikes.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Does it really matter? I wouldn't doubt if half the information on that list is incorrect.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
frdfandc said:
Does it really matter? I wouldn't doubt if half the information on that list is incorrect.
But it's on an internet forum, it HAS to be true!

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Every one of my 7 bikes (throughout my life) have been made in China & Taiwan. 5 of them being mountain bikes and being ridden hard, not one of their frames have cracked or had any problems at all. I must say, i'm happy with what they're doing. (bike manf's moving production to Asia, and frame builders there doing a good job)

Keep in mine the article is dated 2008. if i had to guess, the 95% made in China/Taiwan is even higher now.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Lessee...

Chatanooga, TN.

Bedford, PA.

Waterloo, WI.

Hayes, KS.

Historical bikes, long since gone:

Dayton, OH.

Allentown, PA.

And one beautiful bit of lugged steel from Osaka, Japan.

Oddly, the 'where/nationality/buy American' discussion has never been a part of any buying decision. These have been the value for money leaders each time.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
rcnute said:
Tough to be a "localvore" with bikes.
Not true. I don't live in any sort of cycling Mecca - Cleveland, for goodness sakes - and I can ride my bike to two builders of some renown, and at least one other that I'm aware of (but he tends to focus on MTN equipment.)

Check out the NAHBS exhibitor list. They're everywhere, and that's nowhere near all of them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got a 2003 Look, a 2008 Bianchi, and recently got a 2006 Scott.

Looks like 1 from tunisia or france and two from asia. I love the Bianchi and the Look very much, so I'm not going to be too picky about where it comes from. Both are beautiful rides, and I use similar wheels and components on each build (AC hubs, Aerohead rims, 3T, Campagnolo components) and there's really no negative about either frame. I just ride the one I feel like riding.

I haven't tried the Scott yet - still building it up with my usual choices. It's a real lightweight, and it's plastered with Shimano, Ritchey and other logos, so it's going to be a rolling contradiction. I have a feeling I'm going to end up letting it go, along with the Bianchi, so I can get a 2011 Bianchi carbon frame... like the Sempre, or maybe a 2009 celeste T-cube, if I can ever find one.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
I'm not so concerned about where it's built, but I do prefer bikes that are built by a person that cares that he's actually building a bike. In a small shop the welder is very likely working there because he wants to build bikes. At a larger company it's much more likely that the welder is there to earn a paycheck - it's not important that he's welding a bike, a chair, a gate, or anything else, he's just there to weld. Although, I'm sure that it's not always the case.

Since I live in the US, I tend to own more US made frames. However, I also own a Japanese and an Italian bike, and they make me happy too. :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
danl1 said:
Not true. I don't live in any sort of cycling Mecca - Cleveland, for goodness sakes - and I can ride my bike to two builders of some renown, and at least one other that I'm aware of (but he tends to focus on MTN equipment.)

Check out the NAHBS exhibitor list. They're everywhere, and that's nowhere near all of them.
Unlikely that they used iron ore dug and smelted in Cleveland.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Phoenix Arizona for my primary ride.

The rest...most likely Taiwan or China.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My primary road bike was built in Chehalis, Washington. I get sad every time I drive past Chehalis off of I-5.:(

But now I live in a town where Sacha White and Chris King are building bikes.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts