Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2 wheels & a crank
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to my LBS to shop gear/clothing/shoes.

I'm a creature of habit though, and once I find something that I like, I'll buy a bunch of it.

I've frequented www.nashbar.com as well.

Where else do you guys buy your gear, mostly clothing/shoes related? :blush2:

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
When I find a particular brand/line of clothing I like (especially shorts), I'll usually try to find it locally. I'll research it on the internet and get a range of prices, and if they're somewhat competitive I'll go with the LBS.

If I go online, I'll google the particular item and see what pops up. Then I'll check eBay. I'll see what the usual suspects (Competitive, Nashbar, PBK...) have to offer and look for coupon codes. I'll see if the manufacturer has a online shop with a clearance section. Then I'll pick the one that is most reliable and least expensive. Simple as that.

I've saved a bunch of money over the past few months (while spending even more) replacing/upgrading my cycling kit to get a better fit. Shopping the online sales lets me try a lot of brands that aren't carried locally, so I can see how well a particular is made for myself (after getting a general idea through internet research).

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
What Alaska Mike said, basically, except that we are LBS-challenged here in Mayberry so online shopping is the main method, augmented by the occasional stop at someone else's LBS while road-tripping to some nearby larger city.

Most of my clothing has come from Performance or Nashbar (which share a common ownership but have different web sites, pricing, and sales). Lately I've been buying jerseys on eBay -- some new, some used. Because the fit of different jersey brands is all over the map, I maintain a little data base in my smartphone of the various brands I own, what size(s) they are, and how well they fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can occasionally find really good deals at Sierra Trading Post. I have gotten bike shorts, helmet, socks, and a lot of running gear from them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That Depends

Any components it's either Ribble or Wiggle, Clothes are generally from Performance and the LBS for the consumables (cables, brake pads, bar tape, tubes, etc)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
sierra trading and nashbar are good calls for discounted goods..performance might be slightly higher on the food chain

recenty gotten hip to pbk, they have good stuff....backcountry dot com also has very good quality gear of all kinds, rei, ems, good for all purpose gear heads

·
2 wheels & a crank
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I will check these pace out. I didn't think of Sierra Trading....

·
Registered
255 Posts
RyanDe680 said:
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I will check these pace out. I didn't think of Sierra Trading....<embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=20" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/20.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
I would add chain reaction cycles to your list. They are from the UK but also very reputable.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
If you've never ordered online with Sierra Trading Post, they have a pretty hefty discount for 1st time buyers (I think it was 25%). I got a pair of Descente ColdOut bibs for $58, Descente ColdOut bib tights for $63, and a couple pairs of Merino wool socks for $4.25 each. Not bad at all. Shipping was pretty quick (certainly faster than Nashbar) and reasonable (in my case free with a coupon code). Shame that they don't carry more stuff that I like.

Then they pass on a coupon for 20% off your next order of $75 or more. I may have to dig a little deeper on their site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts