Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you go to get an accurate weigh of your wheels? A neighborhood deli? or do you buy your own light scale? If latter, is it a floor model or a hanging model? I can see weighing a bike on your home scale because it's of substantial weight but a set of wheels?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Post office

lawrence said:
Where do you go to get an accurate weigh of your wheels? A neighborhood deli? or do you buy your own light scale? If latter, is it a floor model or a hanging model? I can see weighing a bike on your home scale because it's of substantial weight but a set of wheels?
If your local post office has an automated packaging center, you can use that scale. It's calibrated and accurate to a tenth of an ounce (3 gm). Good enough for anything that matters. A local shipping store will also have an accurate scale, and you can just go in there and say you're thinking about shipping this and you wonder what it weighs.

Otherwise, you can buy your own scale as others have suggested.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
If you just need to do once, the postal scale is fine.
If you are going to do frequent weighing, one of those hanging digital scales is a nice investment. Also nice for weighing your bike or components.
Most online shops carry one.

john

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Wines of WA said:
Why do you need to weight your wheels? You guys must have a lot of time on your hands.
I try not to weight them, but did weigh them.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Not just wheels deserve a good weighing; all sorts of components get the treatment. On my wife's kitchen scale. When she's not around, of course. ;-)

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Buy your hanging scale at the local fishing/sporting goods store.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Before mounting tires, a digital kitchen scale. For "ready to ride comparisions" including tires, cassettes, and skewers, my digital bike scale with hook for hanging bikes, etc.

·
Registered
669 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Before mounting tires, a digital kitchen scale. For "ready to ride comparisions" including tires, cassettes, and skewers, my digital bike scale with hook for hanging bikes, etc.
I find it easy enough to balance a wheel on the kitchen scale and still get an accurate weight. I only need a hook for measuring things like a frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts