Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

Swapped my Race Face Cadence crankset for an R700 compact. The R700 came with a 6600 BB. Don't have a BB tool at the moment, so the R700 is paired with the X-Type. This leads me to be human and curious: how good is this X-Type BB?

Race Face's website: "Manufactured from high strength aluminum & featuring twice the number of ball bearings than our competitors..."

O RLY?

Of course I can go the "stick with it until it's dead" route, but the Cadence cranks are moving to the trainer bike once I get a BB tool, and the 6600 BB is the only other external BB I've got. So again, being human, I curious to if there's a "better" BB between the two - the better obviously going on the main ride.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
I've run an X-type BB on my mountain bike (with Race Face cranks) for a little over 7 years. During that time the bearings froze up once after a particularly wet wide with several deep creek crossings - which is about as long a life as I've gotten out of a typical BB . Other than that it's been problem free. Other than weight and durability a BB is pretty much a BB (with the possible exception of Chris King which allows for replacing the grease). I'd say that the X-Type is good enough that I'd buy one again - probably in the same range as any the upper-end Shimano BBs.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Well, I can't complain about it myself. I think I'll keep it on the 'main' bike. So when people inspect my bike, they'll be like "OMGWTFBBQ WAT IZ DAT?" hehe :D

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts