Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this video really interesting as it showed me something I had not expected.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I picked the lungs, and I stand by that. You can see the heat coming out of his nostrals at the beginning and he is just standing there.

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
Very interesting. Definitely will make me think about choice of gloves in the future.

I'm wondering though, this is the body when overheated trying to cool off. With winter riding, what would it look like in the cold when the body is trying to conserve heat.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Looks cool and his conclusions are mostly right, but his data is probably entirely crap.

Limbs and head do shed a lot of heat.

He's using the thermal camera completely wrong, AFAICT. He doesn't provide enough information to be sure, but it looks like he's making two obvious mistakes with the camera.

More critically erroneous is riding a stationary bike. Regular bikes move, so even at high ambient temperature, how your body dumps heat is greatly influenced by airflow.

If you review the literature, be careful not to compare heat loss in water to heat loss in air. This is a common error, and if you read something that doesn't specifically note the source data was from air, it's probably using water data, which was available sooner. How people shed heat in cold water is very different from how we shed heat in air, which leads to various completely wrong conclusions.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
"venting heat" sitting on an exercise bike, naked, in his living room is a terrible corallary to riding your bike outside, wearing clothes, with cold air flowing over you.

The constant battle of retaining heat and the associated sweat soaking into your clothes, combined with the cold air flowing over you... it's just a very different thing. There are so many variables. Air temp, rain/snow, speed, how much/hard you are pedaling, how well ventilated your core is, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts