Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am frustrated as hell. I bought a new bike that came with a Toupe saddle. Got fitted - fit perfectly. It was the first time ever that I rode with no pain. Hired a cycling coach...first day riding he suggests we move the saddle, but he'd move it back if I wasn't happy - not happy, but he doesn't get it back. The orig. fitter has been trying to get it back to no avail. I rode for two hours in misery this a.m. I'm about to pay for a brand new fitting session - don't want any favors...want it right.

I am trying to find out where the saddle should be making contact - the current pressure points are the inner parts of my sit bones and the rear section of my perineum. I know that I have a lack of ass as well as a sensitive perineum area.

Prior to my cycling coach screwing with the seat (my fault - I let him do it), it was dead perfect; although I couldn't tell you the touch points back then. I came home today and sat on ice.

So, after buying an S-Works bike, I am currently miserable.

Please someone help me - what's the optimal touch points for a saddle. I want to be able to ride 50 - 100 miles like my buddies, and I want to ride without pain and misery.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
You should be on the sit bones, but not the inner part of them. This indicates the saddle might be too narrow, or that you are scooting up too much. Other issues of saddle pain are newness to a bike, everyone gets pain in the beginning. Lastly, good riding shorts/bibs that work for you help too.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
You know you're allowed to move your saddle if you're unhappy with its current position. No sense in riding if you know the saddle placement is wrong.

·
Banned
605 Posts
And when you do find were you like it take some measurements so you can replicate it. Just from reading your post it seems like prior to the supercoach turning it into a brick maybe you weren't concentrating too hard on it now you are very focused on it and that might be making it harder to get right because now nothing seems right. It took me a long time to get my saddle right. A number of rides with tools to adjust along with more then one ride spent making multiple adjustments. I ended up riding with the nose of my saddle slightly higher then the tail, seems counterintuitive but it worked for me. I also found that if the saddle was even a few mm to high that that was NG.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
mafpolo said:
I am frustrated as hell. I bought a new bike that came with a Toupe saddle. Got fitted - fit perfectly. It was the first time ever that I rode with no pain. Hired a cycling coach...first day riding he suggests we move the saddle, but he'd move it back if I wasn't happy - not happy, but he doesn't get it back. The orig. fitter has been trying to get it back to no avail. I rode for two hours in misery this a.m. I'm about to pay for a brand new fitting session - don't want any favors...want it right.

I am trying to find out where the saddle should be making contact - the current pressure points are the inner parts of my sit bones and the rear section of my perineum. I know that I have a lack of ass as well as a sensitive perineum area.

Prior to my cycling coach screwing with the seat (my fault - I let him do it), it was dead perfect; although I couldn't tell you the touch points back then. I came home today and sat on ice.

So, after buying an S-Works bike, I am currently miserable.

Please someone help me - what's the optimal touch points for a saddle. I want to be able to ride 50 - 100 miles like my buddies, and I want to ride without pain and misery.

First make the saddle level, so you don't slide forward while riding. Then make sure it's low enough to pedal above 95 rpm without rocking your hips. Then move around on it to experiment with different fore aft positions and pelvic tilts.

I bet you're sitting a bit too far forward on the narrower part if you feel the pressure on the "insides" of your sit bones and perineum! Try positioning back on the wide part of the saddle and see if that alleviates the pressure on the perineum. Raising the nose a millimeter or two makes it easier to stay on the back.

The further back the saddle is, obviously the more likely you'll end up on the front! :shocked:

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not intending to embarrass you, but

Mdeth1313 said:
totally wrong here- hope it's not: "in your bad place" :eek:
Let me know what you mean? Perhaps you mean my prostate? Maybe. I am going to go ahead and see a urologist.

Keep in mind - prior to having a coach, I had been fitted when I bought the bike (fitting was over a week of riding), and it fit me perfectly.

It's getting back to "perfect" that's tough. Orig. fitter is frustrated...making a little adjustment here, there, etc.

Finally went in there yesterday (no more nice guy), and told him that shame on me for allowing anyone to touch the saddle, but I did, it's done, and I don't want any favors. So, made an appointment - told him I'm paying to start all over again. Told him to take the seat, the post, or whatever he wants off of the frame to start over, but we're gonna get this fixed on my dime, since it's my screw up.

I love to cycle, love being out there. The only working out I like. So, I need to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This may seem like an obvious question, but how much riding have you done before you purchased the bike?

Some discomfort will occur when you start riding. The "area" needs to get used to the pressure of sitting on a saddle for extended times. I have experienced that discomfort before after long layoffs from the bike or switching from one bike to the other. One of the reasons all my bikes have very similar saddles. You might see posts concerning this every spring from very experienced riders.

Could this be what you are experiencing? It takes time to be comfortable for long stretches. Once there you will be fine.

Proper fit and position is correct of course. But once found, it should not take a complete fit session to find it again as you have described. Some saddle adjustments to find the right spot again should not be that complicated. Some time on the bike to get comfortable and balanced is the next step.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hope you get it dialed out.

For future reference, mark the fit locations so you know where the previous positions were and can re-adjust if necessary. All my bikes have index points and this is more for tear downs so that I can get everything back in the right spot. I have Sharpie and nail polish marks on seat rail, post, bars, shifter levers....even my cleats have marks so that when I take them off it is easy to reposition accurately.

Are you sure the saddle is appropriate width for your 6? Sounds to narrow to me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Get your allen wrenches out. Adjust saddle and ride around the block then adjust again. When it passes the 1 block test, increase the distance. You have one thing going for you, you know that the saddle can be pain free.

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Improved things

Been riding about six years. This is a new bike, but the fit was dialed in perfectly - until the coach screwed it up.

CDale Nut's links helped a LOT. I read them - they made sense. Nosing the saddle down to take pressure off of my perineum was letting my arse slide down, so that my sit bones were in the narrow part of my butt, and my perineum was making too much contact with the saddle.

Went downstairs, got the allen wrench, moved it back, tilted the nose slightly above level (to keep my ass on the ass part), rode it today......comfy ride. This was done with an allen wrench by a complete ignoramus when it comes to most mechanical things, etc. No plumb bob, no lasers, no computers. At this point I'm a little arrogant.

Those links made sense, and I got lucky.

Thanks to all of you

·
Registered
662 Posts
You could probably contact the shop that did your fit and get the measurements you ended up with. I think 99% of them record this info.

·
Registered
333 Posts
jmess said:
You could probably contact the shop that did your fit and get the measurements you ended up with. I think 99% of them record this info.
Ditto.

They should have given you a copy of them when the fit was completed, in fact.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
104 Posts
Thank you for not posting pics :thumbsup:

Very tender subject, punn intended.

Be careful too when taking off your saddle for example to go on a trip.
The parts that fit on the stem (name escaping me at this point) are directional on my S-Works.

like you upon purchase my saddle was perfect, no issues.
Then i went on a trip and took my seat to swap on a rental bike. Sounded like a good idea.

Well when I got back and put the saddle back on; my saddle kept knudging up when I would sit back on the saddle. No matter how tight I would crank the allen wrenches.
Not ideal and would cause numbness in the nether regions.

A wrench buddy of mine and I tried and tried, then decided to swap sides on the support washers or whatever on the stem after a bit of sand paper. Totally fixed it. Now my seat stays still and Me and the boys and the area between are all friends again. :thumbsup:

Moral of the story, don't take your saddle with you, buy 2 and take the 2nd one on trips.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi guys, this is my first post... i started cycling in early 2009 and i got bitten by the cycle bug. i started riding alot. eventually i was riding an average of 100 to 150 miles a week in just a few months. but then i once came across an article on impotence due to cycling and well i sold my bike after reading that. but i never got over cycling. i still keep up with it. and i have been wanting to start again, i miss it. i love it. now there are alot of saddle options with cut outs in them. i test rode a tarmac with a specialized touple saddle but i still felt pressure on my perineum. there is a selle italia saddle that i really have hope in. it has a huge cut out on it. i also have a very tender perineum, i sold my motorcycle because of this reason. my perineum hurts after sitting on it, i had (DRE) to see if my prostate was doing fine. doc said it was. at first i thought myabe i had prostatitis. well i still think i have something wrong or who knows. i just have a tender perineum, i am only 24 years old so i dont see why i would have an enlarged prostate. my question is does anyone else have a tender perineum??? like when you sit and apply pressure on it you feel the tenderness? is that normal for some of us? i just want to cycle comfortably. i really want to get back in the sport, i miss climbing the mountains that i live near by. any inputs from anyone will be really helpful. once i get a bike a bike i plan on getting professionally fitted, does anyone have this problem? what did you do to overcome it?

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
Ignore the scare-mongering about impotence. A properly fitted bike will not affect your performance in the bedroom. A decent pair of bike shirts (or better still, bibs) will help. Getting the right saddle is trial and error - find an LBS that will let you try different models and sizes out, if possible.

Combining proper fit, padding and saddle should eliminate tenderness down below - also, after some more miles, you should HTFU. :)

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
leoperaza, you seem to be a guy who could benefit from reading this little report posted on the Selle SMP web site:
Journal of Sexual Medecine

Read around on the web site. My Selle SMP Evolution is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, but I have more narrow sit bones than most.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts