Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below you'll see a pic of my bike, prior to changing the tires to a more road friendly pair.

I've changed to the seat bag to a slightly smaller one, have a water bottle in one bottle holder, a 'storage' bottle in the other bottle holder, and a mini-pump attached to the frame above the slanted water bottle holder.

I never realized how large a 26x1.5 spare tube was until I was trying to find a spot to put in on my bike.

Don't want to buy a larger seat bag so what do you think is my best option (other than getting a road bike) for carrying that spare tube on my bike?

Thanks!

TripleB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The seat bag or the tool water bottle thing.

I can fit a 29er tube, 2 co2 cartridges, and a co2 chuck in a seat bag that is way smaller than that one.

And that bike is too big. Don't buy a road bike from whoever sold you that bike.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
I've had luck wedging a spare tube directly under my saddle in between the saddles rails. You can secure it with a toe strap if you like.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I agree--there should be enough space for that tube in your seat bag, especially if the tube is still factory-folded. If it's an old tube with excess air in it, you need to get all the air out of it and fold it tightly.

Be careful accepting bicycle fit advice based on pictures on the internet.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
This maybe a stupid question, but did you take your spare tube out of the box before trying to stuff it in the seat bag? Just checking. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can fit a 29er tube, 2 co2 cartridges, and a co2 chuck in a seat bag that is way smaller than that one.

And that bike is too big. Don't buy a road bike from whoever sold you that bike.
I agree--there should be enough space for that tube in your seat bag, especially if the tube is still factory-folded. Be careful accepting bicycle fit advice based on pictures on the internet.
This maybe a stupid question, but did you take your spare tube out of the box before trying to stuff it in the seat bag? Just checking. :)
I went to a slightly smaller seatbag than the one you see on the bike in the pic...I now use a Topeak Aero Wedge Medium.

The tube is out of the box and is still factory folded.

The problem I have is I put a pair of reading glasses and my cell phone in my seat bag (with a couple other smaller items, so no room for tube there) and in my 'bottle storage' I have GU/Tools/Changers/Misc. (no room for tube there).

Now in question to the fit and if the bike is too large or not.

I purchased the bike in 2000 and they 'fit it to me' (the best I can remember). I've ridden it ever since (not on a consistent basis) and to me it always felt really good. When I straddle it the top tube is very close but seems, at least to me, to be about right.

Recently I decided to take up cycling on a consistent basis and on the road (due to microfracture knee surgery) where it's a smoother ride than some of the off road riding I did before.

So I started reading on how a road bike should fit you and how much bend should be in your knee when the pedal bottoms out. Maybe it's because I have long legs, or maybe all bikes fit like this, but when I have the seat at what seems to be the proper height, I have to lean the bike over quite if I stop and lean the bike over to rest on my foot.

Thanks for all the help and advice!!!

TripleB

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy some cycling specific clothing w/ pockets. The saddle bag is for flat repair stuff/tools. The storage bottle would be for the same thing if you didn't want to use a bag. Gu, phone, glasses, sandwich, coffee mug...they go in jersey pockets. There are good reasons people wear cycling specific clothing, one being it works.

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
I went to a slightly smaller seatbag than the one you see on the bike in the pic...I now use a Topeak Aero Wedge Medium.

The tube is out of the box and is still factory folded.

The problem I have is I put a pair of reading glasses and my cell phone in my seat bag (with a couple other smaller items, so no room for tube there) and in my 'bottle storage' I have GU/Tools/Changers/Misc. (no room for tube there).
Put less stuff in your bag. Or get a larger bag. There's really no magic here.
What kind of tube are you using? Cheap generic tubes are often really think and bulky. You could get a lighter weight tube that's likely much smaller.

And of course... put your phone in a jersey pocket.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
...to me it always felt really good. When I straddle it the top tube is very close but seems, at least to me, to be about right.
Sounds like it's working just fine for you. Keep riding the bike for now and take internet forum fit advice with a huge grain of salt. On the bag: just put the big bag back and save the small one for when you get a road bike.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I think I could get a 1/2 dozen 26x2.2 mtb tubes in that bag. My mtb bag is probably less than 1/2 that size and I carry two 2.2 tubes in it plus a few other minor goodies (like 3-4-5mm allen wrenches and a mini chain tool.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
I've had luck wedging a spare tube directly under my saddle in between the saddles rails. You can secure it with a toe strap if you like.
And as a bonus your pedaling action will result in the tube being slowly abraded into failure :) Or maybe you left out the part about where you put the tube in an old sock to protect it?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Or maybe you left out the part about where you put the tube in an old sock to protect it?
Wait a minute. I'm the guy who's got that smelly old sock on his bike, not JaeP.

Nowadays, I rarely ride long enough to need two water bottles, so I use one cage for my flat repair "bag." My "bag" consists of one black sock stuffed with my goodies.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts

The problem I have is I put a pair of reading glasses .....

This one is easy. Get a pair of progressive lens glasses with no correction on top and reading on the bottom. Wear these while you're riding. No more reading glasses to carry! It's even better if they are transitional as they will serve as sun glasses too.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Too much crap.

I think you post that you do less than 30 mile rides. So, no food or 1 Gu or 1 cliff bar in your jersey pocket. You are going on a relatively short bike ride - not backpacking in the wilderness. If your ride can be done with one water bottle only, you don't need food.

Tools - Too much. If your bike is well maintained, you need no tools. Take only one allen wrench if you may need to adjust the seat post height. If one allen wrench is too concerning, get a really small folding allen set. Performance has some crappy cheap ones. Chain tool is optional - I have broken two chains in my life (riding since 1989 or 90). Once in the early 90s (there was a lot of jumping, mud, and no maintenance back then) and once right after I put a new chain on my mtb bike (obviously, i messed up installing the new chain pin thing). IOW, broken chains are a very low risk.

Reading glasses - What are you stopping to read? Leave them behind.

Phone - goes in jersey pocket. Is this why you need the glasses? I would figure out some kind of alternative (figure out how to dial emergency contact without reading glasses?)

Changers? - Tire levers? - You need between zero and one. If you can pull the tire off by hand, you don't need it. Learn how to change a tire properly.

Misc. - Obviously the problem. You don't need Misc. Each item in your repair kit needs a specific identifiable use. If you aren't sure you need it or if you don't know how to use it, don't take it.

If Misc includes a patch kit - take it out of the plastic box thing. The box thing is wasted space.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
why carry a tube?

two patches and a tiny container of cement take up very little space.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I need reading glasses; I cannot read print or my cell phone without readers, or a magnifying glass. -So, I cannot operate a phone in case of emergency without readers.

Also, I have never found progressive lenses/frames that work for me - but I have two vision problems and combined they make it difficult to find glasses that work.

I solve the carry-space problem by wearing those mountain-bike-type shorts that have big pockets. Even on rides 60+ miles, I really do not notice much of a difference. But it helps me look more like a Fred than if I wear the cycling/road shorts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts