Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our family just got back from a trip home to Germany and I thought, since we don't get many ride reports from small baltic fishing villages, I'd go ahead and post a little series with pictures from the trip. As you might guess, cycling was our mode of transportation throughout, albeit without any purpose other than getting us from place to place.

Neustadt in Holstein is located about 90 minutes northeast of Hamburg, on the Baltic Sea.
1. This map shows the layout of the city, the harbor and the neighboring villages of Pelzerhaken and Rettin.
2. The Brueckstrasse is one of the main roads through town.
3. Our local brewery.
4. Friday is farmers' market day.
5. The Hochtorstrasse is one of our car-free pedestrian zones. Cyclists have to dismount and push

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. A favorite local restaurant in and old farm house.
2. The town gate marks the beginning of the larger shopping area.
3. Our rides.
4. The harbor is on our route to town.
5. On the north side of town, a bike path circumvents the Binnenwasser, a large brackish lake which serves as hockey central in the winter time.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. During this year's harbor festival, Neustadt gets a visit from an old Kogge, a replica of ships used used in the time of the Hanseatic League.
2. Superb coffee and cakes.
3. I get junior and my wife gets the bags.
4. Paris - Neustadt - Roubaix.
5. Dad - 77 and rolling strong.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. After riding around on a seat behind me "forever", Junior has fun feeding ducks, swans and gulls - the "rats of the sea".
2. For MB1.
3. Pelzerhaken is a beach town best visited by the bike path on top of the shoreline - the ups and downs are a little strenuous, but well worth it.
4. The local sailing club.
5. The bikes stay on land as we go for a toern - a sailing trip.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These last four pictures were taken from the water and give a little different perspective.
1. Shallow waters, and constant wind without serious waves make for fantastic wind - and kitesurfing.
2. Other than sailing, sea kayaking is one of the local favorites.
3. Traditional, small fishing boats.
4. The harbor and church, from about a mile out to sea.

That's all for today, hope you enjoy...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Very cool. I don't think I've ever seen a ride report from this area.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
beautiful!

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
I recognize that!

Hey, Epcot Center! Cool. ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts