1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, been REALLY quiet in here....

Currently Active UsersCurrently Active Users

There are currently 3770 users online. 209 members and 3561 guests

Most users ever online was 40,160, 05-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Been a drain on this place's population for a bit under a decade.

-Site owners utterly indifferent WRT page design and bloat (this was the start of driving long-timers away)
-Massive spamming that was uncontrolled for a while
-Site owners that are basically never present and never answer complaints

Given the owners obviously don't care about the place, people left. I spend more time on BikeForums now. Other long timers hook up on FacePlant. It is also the low riding/racing season for the USA (this is a USA centric site it ends up)

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I spend more time on BikeForums now.
tried BF for a change of pace...

utter shitshow there. rife with noob stuff, heavy-handed mods, and lots of 'bent riders...

plus, was getting all kinds of malware hits there...

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Yeah, BF is moderated by a bunch of martinets. I posted something 'for trade', and the mod removed it, saying that I needed to 'upgrade' to a paid membership if I wanted to SELL something. Also, if an idiot troll signs on and posts sh!t, they will give YOU an infraction for calling them out....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I just do not have much to say lately. The weather is keeping me off the bike and the Pro racing thing has not started yet. I have been hiking a lot lately and taking photos of stuff. Only 66miles on the bike this year so far but it rains almost everyday here in Northern Calif.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts

utter shitshow there. rife with noob stuff, heavy-handed mods, and lots of 'bent riders...

Tighter house rules....but at least admins/owners are actually around. While RBR is bloated to ridiculous level with a worthless right hand column of crap no one asked for. Choice is either that or the ghost town here.

Whereas here, Coolio is basically left running the forum with XXL modding PO....and the only thing keeping spambots from running willy-nilly wholesale is a 2-minute timeout on every single damn thread reply and post. Oh yea, and RBR is running software (vBulletin) so obsolete it makes Samsung blush (4.2.0 came out 4-5 years back?), with enough exploits to make it swiss cheese.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Tighter house rules...
actually joined BF to follow an ASFOS sighting that was reported here...it was entertaining for a brief spell, but when you're getting threatened by mods for playing with the likes of that obvious troll, it's a bit galling.

quickly tired of the animosity towards 'roadies in kit' attitude that seemed to be pretty pervasive...guess I just don't identify with guys on Walmart bikes wearing flip-flops as being fellow 'cyclists.'

oh, and did I mention the malware...?

as you say, RBR is pretty much of a disaster these days, but it's still better than BF. (putting three individuals on ignore makes PO at least somewhat tolerable...)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Wow, been REALLY quiet in here....
Posts go down ever year when its winter in North America. Less riding equal less bike stuff to discuss. I do think its true that activity has slowly gone down the last few years. Nonetheless, if I need good advice on Campy issues, wheelbuilding, and other technical things, this is still a pretty knowledgeable forum. Maybe I have a higher tolerance for all the ads but its really doesn't bother me that much

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just do not have much to say lately. The weather is keeping me off the bike and the Pro racing thing has not started yet. I have been hiking a lot lately and taking photos of stuff. Only 66miles on the bike this year so far but it rains almost everyday here in Northern Calif.
I hear you on the rain! At least we're getting a break this weekend. Get it while you can, if you can find a road that's not closed or covered by trees/mudslide that is.

I've popped over to BF, and uh, no thanks. I hit weightweenies now and again as there can be good information on some things, but meh. Oh well, fire up the trainer and carry on.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
may be me, but it doesn't seem like a lot of new topics to discuss equipment wise. what gets me excite these days is talking about routes and bike vacations, something that doesn't get a lot of traction on this site. there's only so many times one can argue campy vs sram or talk about your favorite wheel

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I still check in here regularly. Yeah, the pace has slowed but I actually enjoy the quality of the posts. Even the insults are a step above what I find on other forums. My fiddlers' forum, for one, is pretty much wall-to-wall one-dimensional idiots. I'd much rather listen to you guys endlessly argue rim widths than hear the fiddlers go multi-pages over the proper shape for a bridge, or how tight the bow hair should be. It is fun, though, to listen to mp3's of the fiddlers scratching through tunes.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Well, if you're like me and you simply click 'new posts' rather than any specific sub-forum, most of the time 30% to 50% of the listed RBR topics relate to politics. Most hardcore cyclists run away from that stuff.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

50 million "what first bike should I get?" posts from beginners who refuse to offer any details on their needs and apparently haven't read anything about bikes ever. 20 million threads from "cyclists" about their $450 hybrids and 10 mile rides at 12mph. The remainder is irritating know-it-alls who will endlessly pick apart the most pedantic detail and ignore the point you were actually making. Also, the mods stomp on everything with two feet for no reason. In other words, essentially similar to every cycling forum on the internet.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't know the actual stats, but a very large percentage of the posts here are on PO. Many of the people who actively post in that forum, don't ever participate in any cycling related discussions.

I think that deters a lot of people from trying to get involved.

Maybe we should rename the forum... "Politics Shitshow Chat - oh, and some bike stuff...." ?

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.