Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a recent, used bike from around 2013-14 and installing Di2. I'm looking at bikes that list for $3000-$3500, and I'm hoping to pay around $2k.

Where is the best place to look? eBay? Craig's List? RBR classifieds?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a recent, used bike from around 2013-14 and installing Di2. I'm looking at bikes that list for $3000-$3500, and I'm hoping to pay around $2k.

Where is the best place to look? eBay? Craig's List? RBR classifieds?
I'd price it out. You may find it just as cheap to buy a new bike with Di2 then to get a used bike and pay full retail for Di2. The OEM gets much better pricing on components. I have bought and sold frames on Ebay with no issues (so far)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I'd look around on ebay for a frame and fork. If you're going to buy the Di2 group anyway, why buy a bike with components you don't want to use? Get a set of custom wheels built up. pick out your favorite saddle, stem and bars and you'll have everything just the way you want it from the get go. No crappy Mavic wheels or FSA parts.

This is what I do. I don't think you save a lot of money buying everything separately, but you get exactly what you want. Plus, it's fun looking around for deals. Definitely check out Ribble.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
eBay affords certain protections which Craigslist does not, and so write CL off entirely. When you unload something on CL and you know you got away with it, you simply don't answer that persons calls or block them entirely. Problem solved. There is no recourse. There will be things you will miss because something about the meeting is off, or you're making small talk, or you are enamored with the item and are already thinking post purchase.

There are some insane deals to be had on eBay. I bought a '14 BMC SLR01 frame with SRAM Force '11 for $1,250 convinced it was a scam on a stolen bike. After having it looked over at the BMC dealer and contacting the prior owner all turned out ok. There's a small Ridley Noah frame fork out there for $1.5K right now (3K frame). That's another expensive as all get out bike that you don't see often. A lot of Tarmac frames as well. A used BMC SLR01 disc went yesterday for $1,450 or so..(to be fair it was spec'd with 105, but frame was top shelf). the seller was a local LBS who blows out used bikes and old inventory via his ebay store. No doubt if I had an issue I could just ship that back (or in my case walk in).

If you eBay often you understand that no legit seller would risk the closure of their online business/account if they don't refund your money, or ignore paypal's demands (the whole refund happens automatically actually). Simply put, if you don't like it you don't pay, irrespective of what the auction terms state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.