Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying my first road bike pretty soon and the shop I will most likely includes a 10% discount for all accessories with the bike. Should I get them there or will I save more money buying them online?
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
depends on what you want. they'll probably put whatever you want onto the bike for free. if you aren't spending much, i'd rather get it at the shop and on my bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
tomk96 said:
depends on what you want. they'll probably put whatever you want onto the bike for free. if you aren't spending much, i'd rather get it at the shop and on my bike.
Also depends on what sort of "accessories" you're thinking of. For things you wear on yourself (especially helmets and shoes), it's awfully useful to be able to try things on. Buying those online requires some experience, and can still be iffy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
If the prices are reasonable support you LBS. Don't forget they have
expenses and staff to cover. If you want them there when you need
them support them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
crazyc said:
If the prices are reasonable support you LBS. Don't forget they have
expenses and staff to cover. If you want them there when you need
them support them.
Yeah, any other place you buy from won't have staff or expenses. :rolleyes:
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
"If the prices are reasonable support you LBS. Don't forget they have
expenses and staff to cover. If you want them there when you need
them support them."


Exactly! And I agree about it depends on what accessories. An accessory can mean anything from a couple of bucks to several hundred bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
you missed the point

yakky said:
Yeah, any other place you buy from won't have staff or expenses. :rolleyes:
Sure all other places have expenses, etc. But when I have a problem
with my bike where do I go? To my LBS. If I have a problem with
an accessory or something does not fit right I would rather just run down
to my LBS and have them take care of it there instead of mailing
stuff back and forth and waiting days or weeks. I would much rather
support people in my community. I don't know what kind of bike shops
are in your area but my primary one is a place I can hang out and chat
with the guys and actually go for rides with. Perhaps I old fashioned but
I would much rather deal with somebody face to face than over the phone
or e-mail. (maybe thats why I don't post much) - Oh Well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Go on and buy the things you need to start riding with the bike. Helmet and gloves and tubes and tools to fix a flat. Other things you can spend some time shopping for what you really want and prices.
 

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
I've gone back and forth. When I started out, I bought everything at the LBS. I was rarely satisfied. I went to buying everything online, and it was okay, except when it came to things I wear.

I'd switched LBSs by then and found one that really caters to the individual customers. What cinched it was when the manager came back from Interbike and all but thrust a pair of bib tights at me saying, "When I saw these at the show I thought of you. You have to own these. They'll be perfect for you in December, January and February." He was right. I've never been more satisfied with any clothing.

To foster that relationship, I buy almost everything there now. They do the shopping, and I just swing by and pick it up. I tell them what I need and they tell me what to buy. Occasionally, they'll say I should get the item elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
crazyc said:
Sure all other places have expenses, etc. But when I have a problem
with my bike where do I go? To my LBS. If I have a problem with
an accessory or something does not fit right I would rather just run down
to my LBS and have them take care of it there instead of mailing
stuff back and forth and waiting days or weeks. I would much rather
support people in my community. I don't know what kind of bike shops
are in your area but my primary one is a place I can hang out and chat
with the guys and actually go for rides with. Perhaps I old fashioned but
I would much rather deal with somebody face to face than over the phone
or e-mail. (maybe thats why I don't post much) - Oh Well
In theory I agree, but have you ever tried to return something to the average bike store? They don't even know what to do with you. Several of the online outlets have some pretty amazing service. For example I was trying to find the perfect seat for my girlfriend. I just ordered a box full of seats from Nashbar and kept the one she liked. How are you going to do that at a bike store? Chances are they won't even have the seat in stock that you like and you will have to special order it... and wait... and wait.... I'm all for good service, but I can't say I get great service at the LBS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Usually online- I buy full bikes at my LBS as I can't beat the prices. I have some maintenance done by my LBS, most I can do myself. Other stuff, clothing, tires, etc. I buy online as my LBS seldom has what I want or I have to order it and make a second trip, and their prices are high. So I do a little of both.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top