Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they don't have to be custom actually. Just looking to upgrade my aksiums on my tarmac. Looking for anything ultegra/dura ace quality, or a good builder @ low pricing. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1, heck +100 on Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com). I had him build up a pair of his Speedcific hubs (basically Chris King knockoffs made in Poland) on some DT Swiss rims (Wheelsmith bladed spokes, 28 hole F/R with radial front and alloy nipples) and the wheels were pretty much perfect. I broke one non-drive side spoke after 3 years of use and used the free replacement spoke (he provides one of each plus a spoke wrench) to fix it and its the only time I actually had the true the wheels. Very comfortable ride and solid performance.

Oh, and the wheels were sub 1500g (I think they were around 1465) and less than $400 shipped.

Fantastic deal for fantastic wheels though his website is looking sparse nowadays and I'm not sure why. Give him a call, he knows everything there is to know about wheels.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
mike garcia?

I've had a really hard time getting a hold of Mike Garcia... is he still around? Is there anyone else like him worth considering for some custom wheels?

·
Registered
788 Posts
toddf said:
I've had a really hard time getting a hold of Mike Garcia... is he still around? Is there anyone else like him worth considering for some custom wheels?
As far as Mike Garcia ,I'm not sure . I have ordered from him in the past and he is really quick . You're not emailing him are you ? You have to call him . If you can't get a hold of him though , I have another great option for you :

I ordered wheels from Troy Watson or Ligero Wheelworks . His user name on here is Ligero. This guy is great . His prices are more than reasonable . To top it off ,he set on the phone with me for about an hour just shooting the [email protected] AFTER we already knew what wheels I wanted . Throw some business his way ,you won't regret it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a set of wheels from Mike Garcia, have about 1500 miles on them and they are just as good as new...and I weigh 270 pounds!!

·
Banned
54 Posts
Two sets of wheels from Mike Garcia.
One on my Epic.
One on my Roubaix.
Never broke a spoke or gone out of true.
His web site has been under construction for a long time.
LS

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
stumpy_steve said:
Well, they don't have to be custom actually. Just looking to upgrade my aksiums on my tarmac. Looking for anything ultegra/dura ace quality, or a good builder @ low pricing. Thanks.
What is the "low pricing"?
What is your budget?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cpark said:
What is the "low pricing"?
What is your budget?
Well, I wanted to keep it below $600 pref. Since I could probably only get $100 for my aksiums, I don't want to pay any more out of pocket than $500. I also don't want to pay retail, and as low priced as possible for the quality. Any suggs? I checked out flits, which don't seem too bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
KSyrium Elites...09

The new Ksyrium Elites are like 1500 grams out of the box and are, I might say, kind of bad-ass. I put them on an 08 opal and the bike changed it's demeanor completely. Worth a look at the very least....they were 650 at the lbs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
stumpy_steve said:
you're right mark. dura ace hubs, champion spokes, alloy nipples came out to 458
Put a call into Chris at BWW, you won't regret it. Just do a search here on BWW and read about all the happy customers here, myself included.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Mike Garcia has failed to impress me on a number of occasions. You can get a good job done by the guys at Universalcycles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Alright guys, so I ended up choosing BWW for my build. Haven't chosen the hoops yet (inbetween DT 1.1 or the Open Pro - any recs?), but I'm going with Dura Ace 7850 hubs, DT Comp Spokes, & DT aluminum nipples. Also inbetween radial & 3x lacing pattern for the front wheel. Not pricewise, but function wise. Is there a huge difference? My asksium is a radial, btw. Estimates weigh about 1590 (DT hoop) to 1650 (Open Pro). I'm no weight weenie, but I rather be the only fat one with next to my bike. Chris @ BWW has answered my questions incredibly quick and with a wealth of knowledge, so I already feel confident purchasing with them. Here's the breakdown;

Overall, they will cost me either:
$443.45 - DT 1.1 hoop, 7850, Comp (front 3x), Alloy
$34.37 - Tax
$14.73 - Shipping
$492.55

or

$428.50 - MOP hoop, 7850, Comp (front 3x), Alloy
$33.21 - Tax
$14.73 - Shipping
$476.44

or

$433.45 - MOP hoop, 7850, Comp (front radial), Alloy