Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to use an off-center rim on a set of training rims, and the velocity aerohead (with OC rear) looks to be a good rim to use for this. (I've got a hub that doesn't have much offset to the drive side flange, so it's going to be HEAVILY dished to one side if not.) I think the IRD cadence might just be too light for me at 80 kilos for a training wheel...

Any guesses on where to buy them other than wheelbuilder.com? Can't seem to find them online.

Are they in the Quality catalogue? Do you think a shop would get them for me in a reasonable price? If anybody has a quality catalogue, would you happen to let me know what colors they stock in 32 hole...

Thanks...

· Off the back
332 Posts
LBS is best bet

johnmyster said:
I'm looking to use an off-center rim on a set of training rims, and the velocity aerohead (with OC rear) looks to be a good rim to use for this. (I've got a hub that doesn't have much offset to the drive side flange, so it's going to be HEAVILY dished to one side if not.) I think the IRD cadence might just be too light for me at 80 kilos for a training wheel...

Any guesses on where to buy them other than wheelbuilder.com? Can't seem to find them online.

Are they in the Quality catalogue? Do you think a shop would get them for me in a reasonable price? If anybody has a quality catalogue, would you happen to let me know what colors they stock in 32 hole...

Thanks...
I build my wheels, so not interested in the on-line builder sites. I bought a pair from Cambriabike.com, but they took forever to get to me.

I bought a pair from my LBS @ $60/ea.

BTW: That OCR rear rim is da shizzle! Stronger than a woman's opinion!

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Is Google down?

johnmyster said:
When you Google Velocity Aerohead you get a lot of hits. I've had no trouble finding them online. How about Yellow Jersey bike shop in Madison WI (this is where I have bought them most recently, online.)

· RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
Super Spokes

I bought mine from Super Spokes (www.superspokes.com) at the beginning of this year.

No problem with the seller. But if you are buying the Aerohead thinking it is 400g then think again. My Aerohead (24h) came in at 450g. I was told Aerohead hasn't been coming in at 400-420g for 5 year. The Aerohead OC (28h) is more reasonable coming in at 430g.

I like the Aerohead OC but I swap out the Aerohead (normal) for Alex Crostini 3.1 which came in at 375-380g. Nice finish too.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
thread drift, product review

dbeltramini77 said:
I got a complete set of Velocity Nuvian wheels, which use the aerohead rims from superspokes.com.

http://www.superspokes.com/wheels.html

But they sell the rims separately as well

Whats you opinion of the Nuvian wheelset? i haven't been able to find of review of them. Are they light? how do they compare to open pros?

· Registered
919 Posts
cmg said:
Whats you opinion of the Nuvian wheelset? i haven't been able to find of review of them. Are they light? how do they compare to open pros?
The Nuvian wheelset is comprised of some Velocity branded hubs (OEM Formula) laced to Aerohead rims with Wheelsmith spokes. Good value for money - because they are fairly conventional wheels I guess they sort of fly under the radar. I've ridden a pair about 10k miles now and have no complaints. When I bought mine I was able to spec the # of spokes and pattern and rim color and they were built up at Velocity USA and drop shipped to me. Nice!

· Registered
1 Posts
yes, but the SpeedCific rear hub is CRAP!

Steve-O http://www.oddsandendos.com/

http://www.spinlitecycling.com/road_rims.htm

I've bought Velocity Rims from Mike Garcia of Odds and Endos for three different wheelbuilds and he always has good prices...

Steve-0, good prices, I agree, but the SpeedCific rear hub is a piece of crap. I had one that only had about 6500 miles on it and the cassette body broke off inside in the skewer tube (you take the rear wheel off, remove the skewer and your cassette falls on the floor). This was after I stopped about 10 times on a narly descent going about 40 mph, kept thinking I had a flat cuz the rear tire felt like it was washing out. I wrote Mike and never received a reply. Velocity Rims are OK, spokes are OK, but that rear hub is really crap. I would not recommend one to anybody. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.