Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source for a 0 degree handle bar stem?
The only one I can find is Moots but they're a bit pricy.

Mike

·
Registered
806 Posts
What do you mean? do you want a stem that extends at the same angle as the top tube, or one that is up, or down from it? There are a number of stems available at each of these angles. Tell us what you need and we can probably tell you where to get it.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
other options

I'll assume you know what you want, which is also called a 90 degree stem. Not many folks would specify a stem by it's angle with the ground.

As others mentioned the Thomson X4 would be a good choice. If you're not using oversize bars, you can get a bushing to use 26mm, but to me it would be a pretty ugly setup. There aren't many high-end stems made in this angle anymore. The most likely reason is the more popular 84/96 better serves most people's needs.

The 90 degree fits in between the 84 and 96 degree angles. It will produce a bar height that's about 1cm higher than an 84 and about 1cm lower than a 96. If the goal is to raise the bars by 1cm, another option is to use a 96 degree and remove 1cm of spacer.

I had one of my bikes setup with a 90 degree and later decided to switch to an 84. I've got two 90 x 110mm stems (one Ritchey Comp and one Easton EM-90) and one Easton EM-90 in a 100mm laying around. All are for 26mm bars. I need to E-bay them one of these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I mean 90 degree. I'm use to thinking about stems as being +/- from 90 degrees.
Thanks for the pointer to the X4.
I'm in the market for a new bike and just want to know my stem options before I purchase.
Given the bike I'm considering a 84 degree stem means 25 mm of spacers, a 86 degree means 20 mm, a 0 means 10 mm ...

25 mm of spacers is the maximum I want to run so a 84 degree stem doesn't leave me any room to decrease my drop, unless I flip it.

I should just run a 96 degree and be done with it but I'm a analytical and obsessive person with to much free time. :)

Mike

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
I second the Thomson X4. I have one, and the quality is great. I will be getting rid of mine to get the X2; I thought the 0 degree rise was correct when I did the calculation, but it appears the -10 degree rise is closer to what I need. I do like the fact that Thomson specifically states that the four bolt set up of the X4 is fine with aluminum or carban bars...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thomson X4...

I have one on the Ridley and one on the Salsa. Great stem, great quality and lower priced than a lot of other stuff. And it's WAAAAY stiffer than just about anything else as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts