Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where I can get a cheapish cross frame? I have basically a new full cyclocross build on an old Trek touring frame. I want canti bossess and some good tire clearance in frame that I can transfer all my parts over to. Aluminum or steel, it doesn't matter, just needs to be ~ $200 ish. Is this too much to ask?

Thanks for your input,

Pedro

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
SenorPedro said:
Anybody know where I can get a cheapish cross frame? I have basically a new full cyclocross build on an old Trek touring frame. I want canti bossess and some good tire clearance in frame that I can transfer all my parts over to. Aluminum or steel, it doesn't matter, just needs to be ~ $200 ish. Is this too much to ask?

Thanks for your input,

Pedro
http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ $250 for frame and fork

Description Tsunami Compact Cyclocross Frame with Carbon Fork
Ext Desc 7005 aluminum alloy compact design. Carbon cyclocross threadless fork. Integrated headset. Takes 27.2 seatpost. Flat black painted finish.
Price $250.00

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
it may sound obvious, but eBay?

or the classifieds on this site???

sometimes you can find someone here with one to spare...

i think that you're not asking too much.

·
formerly ss-nyc
57 Posts
What size do you need?

I have a brand new Bean Green Surly Cross-Check in a 52cm that I purchased on eBay a few months ago but have not yet built up and probably never will. What is cool is that it is one of the early model bean greens that were made with Reynolds 631 tubing and not from the less expensive generic 4130 they now use. The picture is from the original eBay listing that I won.

Let me know if you are interested:
bid4items AT aol DOT com

SenorPedro said:

Thanks for your input,

Pedro

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far...

Yeah, I have checked the classifieds and eBay for quite a while, however, most everybody wants to sell a whole bike and I don't need that. Occasionally I have seen a redline frame or something but so far not the right size, which is approximately a 56 by the way. That Cross-Check would be perfect except for its smallness.

Thanks

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
The Cross-Check

That Cross-Check frameset might work for you in a pinch depending how tall you are. I'm 5'10" and I ride a 56cm road bike. I'm riding a 52cm Cross-Check without too much trouble. The 52cm size has a 54.5cm TT and put a bit of a rise stem on it and it fits fine. Although, I ordered my CC without riding it and a couple years before I got my road bike...I wish I would have gotten the 54cm (56cmTT) CC but I know that the 56cm (57cmTT) would have been too big.

Otherwise, if you're uncertain about the size of the 52cm CC that for sale above, and you're having trouble filling the bill elsewhere, your LBS can get you a new CC in the neighborhood of $329 for frame and fork...you just won't be able to get that sweet pea green paint!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
check the classifieds here. RbR. this is the time of year for deals as sponsored riders and racers alike off their gear. good luck!

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Absolutely the least expensive frame I've seen

www.nycbikes.com

I know nothing about the build, just that it's only$99.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i just got my nycbike cross frame nice finish its powdercoated black for $100 i dont think u can beat the price if ur on a budget good luck

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
there's a heap of 55-56's right here in the Rbr classifieds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bought some parts from them as well

noavg55 said:
i just got my nycbike cross frame nice finish its powdercoated black for $100 i dont think u can beat the price if ur on a budget good luck
No frame, but I did buy some hubs over the phone from NYCBikes -- good folks & quite helpful. Contact them directly if you have any questions, and I'd expect they'd be straight with you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tsunami Cross at Chuck's

Trevo said:
A teammate of mine asked me about this frame awhile back; I told him I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a woods bike/commuter, but as a race bike the compact frame design isn't ideal. If you're shouldering the bike once or twice every five minutes, you want to have as much room under the top tube as you can get away with.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
NYCBikes cheap-ish frame

triangleforge said:
No frame, but I did buy some hubs over the phone from NYCBikes -- good folks & quite helpful. Contact them directly if you have any questions, and I'd expect they'd be straight with you.

Cheers!
I purchased a complete bike outfitted for cyclocross from them recently. Good bike, rides well (though way on the heavy side, but what d'ya want for the price?). Careful on the specs, though. Their site doesn't list all the components on the bikes that they have, and you shouldn't assume that what's listed for one bike is what they're going to put on your frame - small price shuffle on my purchase, caveat emptor. Friendly folks, but as their site says, they're building for the general commuter population, with bikes that are built for abuse. You aren't going to get DuraAce or Campy Record on these frames.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
SenorPedro said:

Thanks for your input,

Pedro
www.greenfishsports.com. they have the Redline Conquest for $250.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts