Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want to get my kid (some kid- 27 years old) a bike for NYC. I figured a single speed frame...I have all the parts to put together a road or mtb... Looked at Performance / Nashbar for a $100 frame that I won't care if it gets really beaten up.
The road frames are sized so small that the 58-60 has a top tube of 56.5 (he's 6'1). So, I looked at the track frames. They fit, but the rear hub sizing is 120 and all I have are stock road wheels (I think road hubs are 130-ish)....What to do? What to do.
Cheap frame needed...any clues? I really want to keep it under $200

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
AlanS said:
So, I want to get my kid (some kid- 27 years old) a bike for NYC. I figured a single speed frame...I have all the parts to put together a road or mtb... Looked at Performance / Nashbar for a $100 frame that I won't care if it gets really beaten up.
The road frames are sized so small that the 58-60 has a top tube of 56.5 (he's 6'1). So, I looked at the track frames. They fit, but the rear hub sizing is 120 and all I have are stock road wheels (I think road hubs are 130-ish)....What to do? What to do.
Cheap frame needed...any clues? I really want to keep it under $200
ebay and craigslist

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
You want something that can take massive amounts of abuse and won't attract thieves, stay away from track bikes.

Best bet is a pre-suspension steel MTB frame.

This is bulletproof.

The old ones also have really long top tubes... Stable, solid, hard to break, easy to find replacement parts, easy to customize, and cheap as hell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts